DT tells court he cannot post bond

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:54 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:32 pm Didn't he say on Truth Social that he had $500 mil in cash? Man can't tell the truth or admit defeat to save his life. Malignant narcissism is fascinating to watch in real time.
It doesn’t really matter, if the bond is so high that a person can’t get a bond company to secure it, then the 8th amendment of the constitution has been violated if it’s not lowered.

Eighth Amendment
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted

Which could have gotten the whole case thrown out on appeal- and that would have been after The AG seized his properties- to which he could then sue and win possibly billions from the state of NY.

Much easier to lower the bond…
https://constitution.congress.gov/brows ... _00000962/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:02 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:32 pm Didn't he say on Truth Social that he had $500 mil in cash? Man can't tell the truth or admit defeat to save his life. Malignant narcissism is fascinating to watch in real time.
It doesn’t really matter, if the bond is so high that a person can’t get a bond company to secure it, then the 8th amendment of the constitution has been violated if it’s not lowered.

Eighth Amendment
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted

Which could have gotten the whole case thrown out on appeal- and that would have been after The AG seized his properties- to which he could then sue and win possibly billions from the state of NY.

Isn't that in effect before you stand trial? So as not to imprison someone who is innocent until proven guilty? In this case the trial has already happened, and judgement already made.
I think she's misunderstanding a bail bond with an appeal bond.
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:02 pm

Eighth Amendment

Isn't that in effect before you stand trial? So as not to imprison someone who is innocent until proven guilty? In this case the trial has already happened, and judgement already made.
It would apply to any fines or fees that the government gets part of, which it would here.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 pm

Eighth Amendment

Yeah… read it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:15 pm
Della wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 pm

Eighth Amendment

Yeah… read it.
You think I don't read things to know what they're about before I post them?
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:46 pm
Yeah… read it.
Oh, so you were just providing backup information to what I said.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:04 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:02 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:05 pm Wouldn’t it be weird if the judge lowered the amount he owed because of this…
It would be weird since they can’t do that. Lowering the amount would be something that can be asked on appeal. However, he has to pay the appeal bond, which is the judgement plus interest, to appeal. For example, judgement over Jean Carroll was a little over 83 mil, he’s appealing and the appeal bond he paid was a little over 91 mil(judgement plus interest).
Weird.
They lowered his bond.
His bond, they didn’t lower the amount he owes.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:45 pm

Yeah… read it.

In layman's terms, explain what it means?
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 pm

The Court has held the clause inapplicable to civil jury awards of punitive damages in cases between private parties, when the government neither has prosecuted the action nor has any right to receive a share of the damages awarded.4 The Court based this conclusion on a review of the history and purposes of the Excessive Fines Clause. At the time the Eighth Amendment was adopted, the Court noted, the word ‘fine’ was understood to mean a payment to a sovereign as punishment for some offense.

It means that normally in civil trials this doesn’t apply, but in cases where the state/fed would be monetary recipients, it does.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:33 pm
Della wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 pm

The Court has held the clause inapplicable to civil jury awards of punitive damages in cases between private parties, when the government neither has prosecuted the action nor has any right to receive a share of the damages awarded.4 The Court based this conclusion on a review of the history and purposes of the Excessive Fines Clause. At the time the Eighth Amendment was adopted, the Court noted, the word ‘fine’ was understood to mean a payment to a sovereign as punishment for some offense.

It means that normally in civil trials this doesn’t apply, but in cases where the state/fed would be monetary recipients, it does.
What about the bolded?
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic