Is this something people today believe?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am “Racism was not simple hatred or prejudice based on skin color. Racism occurred when power was added to prejudice — the power to affect someone’s life physically, economically, educationally, politically or otherwise.
Black or white, anyone can be prejudiced. I might not like you because of your skin color, and that makes me prejudiced. But it doesn’t automatically make me racist unless I also have the power to impact your life because of my prejudice. There are few, if any, areas of American life where Blacks hold such power. Thus, Sheryl Swoopes was correct. Blacks can’t be racist — but that doesn’t mean they can’t be prejudiced. “

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/opinion-sh ... 20546.html

Is it the belief, that Black people have no real ability to affect any part of someone else’s life because they are so politically, educationally, and physically powerless?
Did you get bored with this post?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:55 pm Prejudice can come from anyone and directed toward those they fear, loathe, misunderstand...and so on.

We're seeing that today in the protests, violence, words, and actions in many cities across the globe.
Okay. And?
306/232

AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:05 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:55 pm Prejudice can come from anyone and directed toward those they fear, loathe, misunderstand...and so on.

We're seeing that today in the protests, violence, words, and actions in many cities across the globe.
Okay. And?
And...what, Della?

Are you confused by what I've written or are you simply wanting to kvetch?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:32 pm

Okay. And?
And...what, Della?

Who are you fearing, loathing, and misunderstanding, you old coot?
306/232

AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm

Okay. And?
And...what, Della?

THIS old coot doesn't fear, loathe, or misunderstand anyone that I can recall.

I'm referring to the behaviors at some of the latest bouts of protests here, Canada, and London.

Not all of them have been peaceful and some things shouted from megaphones and mics have been prejudicial.
just an old coot 😉🌵
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:42 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:31 am Racism is a belief that establishes a hierarchy of races and ethnicities and leads to discrimination of minority groups. US was discovered, colonized, expanded, established, and governed by these beliefs for almost 500 years and those beliefs are imbedded in many of our systems. Systemic and institutional racism didn't just end in 1965 but we have made strides and hopefully will continue to do so. Unfortunately, challenges to the hierarchy will always be seen by those who are at the "top" as threatening.

One just need look at inequities that currently exist. Either one believes these inequities are the result of systemic racism past or present, or one believes they are the result of inherent differences between races and ethnicities which enable some to succeed and others to not (racism). The election of the first Black president while pivotal, did not end systemic racism or end the immense disparity that has been the obvious result of it.
But do you believe that Black people today are powerless when it comes to “the power to affect someone’s life physically, economically, educationally, politically or otherwise.”

I’m a little taken aback by the writer, who is a Black Medical Doctor and College professor thinking Black people can’t influence education… definitely questioning the “physically powerless” to affect someone’s life suggestion. Not understanding how someone could hold that opinion…
I edited my post because I realized I stopped mid-thought and got distracted.

What kind of influence does a minority population have in a democratic country?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm

And...what, Della?

I'm referring to the behaviors at some of the latest bouts of protests here, Canada, and London.

Not all of them have been peaceful and some things shouted from megaphones and mics have been prejudicial.
To which protests are you you referring?
306/232

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do you feel that there is a distinction/difference between prejudice and racism like the article in the post posits?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:38 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm

To which protests are you you referring?
At the present time, some of the pro Palestine protests, which have become pro Hamas demonstrations.

There's a difference between them, in some respects, and fueled by different organizations such as WOL.
just an old coot 😉🌵
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:44 pm

Do you feel that there is a distinction/difference between prejudice and racism like the article in the post posits?
In some respects, yes.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic