If you’ve been divorced

MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

No I did not. My maiden name was a nightmare to pronounce and I had to correct people all my life. My ex husband's last name was so pretty and easy to spell and pronounce. I don't miss the man but I do miss the last name. I'm remarried now and have my DH's last name. That I have to correct all the time again LOL.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:40 pm No I did not. My maiden name was a nightmare to pronounce and I had to correct people all my life. My ex husband's last name was so pretty and easy to spell and pronounce. I don't miss the man but I do miss the last name. I'm remarried now and have my DH's last name. That I have to correct all the time again LOL.
Both names I constantly have had to correct spelling and/or pronunciation. I really like another posters idea of taking my mother’s maiden name, I’ve been kicking it around since I read the suggestion and I think I like the flow of it. Plus it’s easily pronounced.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Not divorced but I have now carried my married name for longer than my maiden name...we were YOUNG when we married. At any rate, you need tomdonwhat you feel best.

I don't remember it being that hard to change line but hubby was in the military so perhaps that is why.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:22 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:40 pm No I did not. My maiden name was a nightmare to pronounce and I had to correct people all my life. My ex husband's last name was so pretty and easy to spell and pronounce. I don't miss the man but I do miss the last name. I'm remarried now and have my DH's last name. That I have to correct all the time again LOL.
Both names I constantly have had to correct spelling and/or pronunciation. I really like another posters idea of taking my mother’s maiden name, I’ve been kicking it around since I read the suggestion and I think I like the flow of it. Plus it’s easily pronounced.
I love that idea too actually. If I ever divorced again I would either go back to my first exhusband's nice name (oh god) or to my mom's maiden name which is easy to spell and pronounce. Which is probably what I would do now that you mentioned it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I have a friend who divorced 20 years ago and while legally didn’t change her name, she changed it socially. No one knows her by her legal name unless she writes them a check, lol. I’ve contemplated doing the same. Less hassle than legally changing it but similar outcome.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:31 am Did you go back to your maiden name? I’m trying to decide what I want to do. My oldest has her father’s last name, I share my stbxs last name with my younger two kids. So if I change back I won’t match anyone. And I remember it being a major PITA to change it when I got married, I assume it’s the same in reverse? Ugh.
No, didn't feel like changing everything.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:31 pm I have a friend who divorced 20 years ago and while legally didn’t change her name, she changed it socially. No one knows her by her legal name unless she writes them a check, lol. I’ve contemplated doing the same. Less hassle than legally changing it but similar outcome.
My stbx is not a good person. I don’t want to be associated with him anymore, even if it is only a legal name.

On a positive note, I met with a lawyer today and she said it’s a free pass to change my name to whatever I want. So I believe I’m going with my mother’s maiden name.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m not divorced so I’ll put that out there. But my husband and I have talked about what we would do in that circumstance. My husband actually took my last name, I’m very close to my family and he doesn’t have a good relationship with his, he was born with his mothers last name that he doesn’t know anymore and was given his fathers when he was around seven, so he just never felt a connection with it. It’s very important to him that he has the same last name as our children so if we divorced, he would keep it. But it’s really circumstantial and up to you, what you feel is right. There really isn’t a right answer.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My divorce came through in January after 33 years. I kept my maiden name. One, because I am way too lazy to deal with changing it. Two because my kids have it, and three because it was mine longer then my maiden name.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:52 am My divorce came through in January after 33 years. I kept my maiden name. One, because I am way too lazy to deal with changing it. Two because my kids have it, and three because it was mine longer then my maiden name.
Sorry and Congratulations both, Lucky. Here's to your new life!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic