If You Screw Up Your Knee, Can You Still Walk?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I fell on my knees today and am in a lot of pain but can still walk. Is this an ice and rest situation or go to the doctor situation?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Is there swelling? Is it red or hot to touch...if yes then go in to the walk in clinic If not then you can rest ice compression and elevate for a couple days and if it doesn't improve then go in.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I'd rest and wait
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'd give it a couple of days.

Hope you feel better.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd rest for a few days first and if it doesn't get better or gets worse go to the doctor. Ibuprofen should help and an Epsom salt bath.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My son has a fracture of his kneecap and he could still walk with a lot of pain and difficulty. The night he did it, he said was not so bad and his trainer thought he just bruised the knee cap, but still pulled him from the game.

It was not till the next day the swelling, the pain and inability to straighten the leg was at the point we took him to the ER. I honestly would not wait a few days if the pain is bad
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:31 am My son has a fracture of his kneecap and he could still walk with a lot of pain and difficulty. The night he did it, he said was not so bad and his trainer thought he just bruised the knee cap, but still pulled him from the game.

It was not till the next day the swelling, the pain and inability to straighten the leg was at the point we took him to the ER. I honestly would not wait a few days if the pain is bad
It's super swollen and super painful this morning. My daughter is going to take me to ER. I can stand on it and walk stiff legged but can't bend.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I tore my meniscus and walked on it for months before the pain became so bad that I couldn’t sleep.

Me personally, if there isn’t major swelling, bruising, or I can’t fall or stay asleep due to pain then I will wait it out.

Good luck.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes. My husband injured his knee in a bouldering competition a few weeks ago (which he won by the way, I feel the need to always point that out so he doesn’t feel as “old” that he injured himself on his last drop) and was able to walk on it. After a few days of it not getting any better from rest and ice, he got it looked at and he’d torn a tendon. Luckily the tear isn’t bad enough to need surgery, but he had it immobilized and is going to PT.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:15 pm I tore my meniscus and walked on it for months before the pain became so bad that I couldn’t sleep.
Some categories of injury get worse if left untreated.

In Britain there's a free phone number which you can call, day or night, to get advice from a nurse (or, when needed, a doctor) on whether you should make an appointment with your GP, go straight to hospital, or deal with it at home unless such and such symptom develops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic