Fearing prosecution, University of Alabama - Birmingham pauses in vitro fertilization after Alabama embryo court ruling

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The University of Alabama at Birmingham health system has paused in vitro fertilization procedures following an Alabama Supreme Court decision due to fear of criminal prosecution and lawsuits, a spokeswoman said.

A statement emailed by UAB spokeswoman Hannah Echols said they are “saddened” for patients who want to have babies through IVF. The process, which involves fertilizing eggs outside the body and then transferring embryos to the womb, accounts for about 2 percent of births in the United States, according to RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association. The UAB Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility made the move after the Alabama Supreme Court ruled that frozen embryos had the same status as children in wrongful death lawsuits.

“We must evaluate the potential that our patients and our physicians could be prosecuted criminally or face punitive damages for following the standard of care for IVF treatments,” Echols wrote in the email.

A majority of justices on the Alabama Supreme Court, in a decision released Friday, ruled that fertilized eggs and embryos have the same status as children. The opinion referred to embryos, which are often stored in cryogenic freezers, as “extrauterine children.“

There are many reasons families turn to IVF treatment. Some women may have blocked fallopian tubes that won’t allow fertilized eggs to travel to the uterus. In other cases, families can carry genes that cause fatal diseases and may want to create embryos that can be tested. In those cases, families will transfer healthy embryos and may discard or donate those that carry genetic diseases.

https://www.al.com/news/2024/02/uab-pau ... ce=twitter
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

"Extrauterine children" is the most dystopian, Handmaids Tale-esque phrase I've heard lately.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Devastating and scary in the long term, but I can’t even imagine how sad and angry people in this boat must be.

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:45 pm "Extrauterine children" is the most dystopian, Handmaids Tale-esque phrase I've heard lately.
That was my first thought too!
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

And Nikki Haley agrees with the court ruling which is kind of rich considering that she had IVF.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:32 pm And Nikki Haley agrees with the court ruling which is kind of rich considering that she had IVF.
What even is this word salad? It doesn’t matter how ‘respectful and sensitive’ your faux moderate, pretend compassionate tone is when you back laws that put ultimate control of women’s reproductive health into the hands of the government, and she’s directly supporting decisions not being in the hands of women, their partner and their doctor.
“Asked if legislation and rulings like the one in Alabama could have a chilling effect on families using IVF to become parents, Haley said, “This is one where we need to be incredibly respectful and sensitive about it."

"I know that when my doctor came in, we knew what was possible and what wasn’t," Haley continued, adding: "Every woman needs to know, with her partner, what she’s looking at. And then when you look at that, then you make the decision that’s best for your family."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna139819
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:45 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:32 pm And Nikki Haley agrees with the court ruling which is kind of rich considering that she had IVF.
What even is this word salad? It doesn’t matter how ‘respectful and sensitive’ your faux moderate, pretend compassionate tone is when you back laws that put ultimate control of women’s reproductive health into the hands of the government, and she’s directly supporting decisions not being in the hands of women, their partner and their doctor.
“Asked if legislation and rulings like the one in Alabama could have a chilling effect on families using IVF to become parents, Haley said, “This is one where we need to be incredibly respectful and sensitive about it."

"I know that when my doctor came in, we knew what was possible and what wasn’t," Haley continued, adding: "Every woman needs to know, with her partner, what she’s looking at. And then when you look at that, then you make the decision that’s best for your family."
But maybe she'll give women a hug?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:45 pm

I looked upon her as an alternative to Trump and Biden. That at least she'd have some sense Trump is lacking. Now it's like bleah. This is the best the Republican Party can do? Trump and Haley? Makes me yearn for the days Jeb Bush was running or Romney. Who I hated at the time.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Another fertility clinic just joined UAB in pausing IVF due to this ruling:

Truly curious about what these red states plan to do when no OB/GYNs and other reproductive health doctors refuse to live and work there due to abortion bans and other restrictive laws. It’s already happening.

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/18/aborti ... -residents

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... lth-obgyn/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic