The trolly problem … do you save twenty, or kill one?

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:21 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:13 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:55 pm

You just can’t lol.

It’s a long standing ethics problem that comes up in psychology classes sometimes…
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem
I know, lol. Ethics classes too and it invariably gets the same response, saving the many for the few. I just think it's kind of lame and has absolutely no relatability for a real-life decision. I mean, a trolley!

So my answer would be since a trolley only moves on average of 2.5 miles per hour, I'd assume that the people on the track would just step off themselves when they noticed the trolley was coming toward them. I would probably give a shout of "heads up".
You guys are messing it up lol… there’s no third option, you have to pick one of the two.

It actually does relate to real life issues, albeit only theoretically…
With autonomous vehicles becoming a thing it may not be theoretical in the future. 😅
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Greater good. Trolley kills 1 to save 20.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You just can’t lol.

It’s a long standing ethics problem that comes up in psychology classes sometimes…
I know, lol. Ethics classes too and it invariably gets the same response, saving the many for the few. I just think it's kind of lame and has absolutely no relatability for a real-life decision. I mean, a trolley!

So my answer would be since a trolley only moves on average of 2.5 miles per hour, I'd assume that the people on the track would just step off themselves when they noticed the trolley was coming toward them. I would probably give a shout of "heads up".
You guys are messing it up lol… there’s no third option, you have to pick one of the two.

Okay. Yes, given no other alternative, I'd flip the switch to the one lone guy.

This is the first and easiest of the ethical "trolley question". They get progressively harder -

What is you know the single person and don't know the group of five?
What if the single person is a relative?
What if they are your child?
If you were a prison warden, would you sacrifice an inmate to a riotous mob in order to save the correction officers?
These are questions that really require people to think.

However, that's not to say that your original question is worthless as it's being discussed in the context of driverless cars and how should they be programmed to deal with a potential accident - should the cars be programmed to "save the many at expense of the few" or should the safety of the driver and passengers prevail. Should car manufacturers decide or should individual owners get to choose how their vehicles are programmed?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:25 pm

With autonomous vehicles becoming a thing it may not be theoretical in the future. 😅
For sure! I find it really scary but I'm sure my great grand parents said that about horseless carriages!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:28 pm

What if it kills people that are ON the train? Then they die because of the idiots.
Trolley, not a train, and the picture clearly shows the Trolley is empty...Furthermore the Trolley would derail on impact with either set of people and the projected body count remains consistent with the number of those standing on the track, thus, also indicating the trolley is empty
There would at least be a driver… so it would still kill one.
In which case I would wonder why the Driver is not attempting to derail the trolley themselves and jump to preserve their own life.

As it is the Trolley folly is a flawed exercise meant solely to cause derision in forcing a black and white POV. Reality is so much more nuanced and complex.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You just can’t lol.

Are we messing it up or is it simply an inherently flawed hypothetical with no basis in reality to begin with?
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm not going to deep think this or attempt to turn it into yet another pissing contest with my answer.

I'd try to save as many as possible while scolding them afterward for being on the dadgum track to begin with.
just an old coot 😉🌵
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Solution: Strap the billionaires who don't pay taxes and hoard wealth to the tracks.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'd have a panic attack and run away, saving myself from any liability on my conscience either way.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:46 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:25 pm

For sure! I find it really scary but I'm sure my great grand parents said that about horseless carriages!
😂 My grandparents said it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic