Americans are starving.

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:02 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 am All southern Red states........seems like a problem with the management of the governing party.
I dunno, I’m from California, food insecurity is a problem everywhere.
https://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/our-work/ ... y%20(CHIS).
The problem is everywhere, but the top 10 states are red states no? And republicans have been trying to cut and eliminate welfare programs in addition to being more likely to shame people for utilizing. They also oppose fair wages and play on capitalism fears of “corporations aren’t willing to profit less so will raise prices of goods”. I highly doubt that people in southern red states work any less as hard as people in other regions. I doubt that fewer are willing to take any job to provide for their families.

I don’t think either side really has a “best solution” dialed in. But those could be contributing factors along with things like climate change effecting small farms, rural communities having less economic resources, low internet access, etc.

There are solutions that isn’t going to fully solve the problem but alleviate some of it.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I read that KY has a county ( Owsley?) that is predominantly dependent on government aid/food stamps in the nation yet they continue to vote Republican and want little government involvement but are happy to take the federal aid. I also read that Owsley county is the nation’s poorest white-majority county in terms of annual median household income.

And now with food prices still high despite inflation lowering, I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for that county to survive and secure food for families on food stamps.

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:18 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 am All southern Red states........seems like a problem with the management of the governing party.
Absolutely but California money is so mismanaged. In a state that spends 42,000 per homeless person such poverty shouldn't exist but absolutely does. I'm still trying to figure out what they're doing with that money especially as I drive by miles of tents lining the freeways and watch homeless dig in the trash for food. I have a hard time believing there's only 181,000 homeless in California too though.
And food insecurity is terrible.
I moved from California to Kentucky and I see so much less homelessness and so much less food insecurity here. Now eastern Kentucky was hit hard and does have a lot of poverty because their livelihood was taken away when they shut down the coal mines. They were doing fine until the federal government decided to take away their source of income. But let's just blame that on the fact it's a red state (with a democratic governor by the way).
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Owsley county also has a populationof about 4,000 with a median age of nearly 50 years old. It's a bunch of old coal miners who refuse to leave the homes their families lived and thrived in when they worked in the coal mines. A lot of them hunt, garden. Etc so they're actually ok on food. But you're right it's very poor there. Most leave for work when they turn 18.
They continue to vote Republican because the coal mines closed under Democratic policies and when they were asked what they were supposed to do to make money they were told it wasn't the governments problem. Which is also why they have no problem taking government aid the government took all they knew from them. They aren't all the most educated a lot grew up with grandad and daddy working in the mines knowing that they would do it as soon as they were old enough. It's all they know.
cgd5112 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:07 pm I read that KY has a county ( Owsley?) that is predominantly dependent on government aid/food stamps in the nation yet they continue to vote Republican and want little government involvement but are happy to take the federal aid. I also read that Owsley county is the nation’s poorest white-majority county in terms of annual median household income.

And now with food prices still high despite inflation lowering, I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for that county to survive and secure food for families on food stamps.

Absolutely but California money is so mismanaged. In a state that spends 42,000 per homeless person such poverty shouldn't exist but absolutely does. I'm still trying to figure out what they're doing with that money especially as I drive by miles of tents lining the freeways and watch homeless dig in the trash for food. I have a hard time believing there's only 181,000 homeless in California too though.
I moved from California to Kentucky and I see so much less homelessness and so much less food insecurity here. Now eastern Kentucky was hit hard and does have a lot of poverty because their livelihood was taken away when they shut down the coal mines. They were doing fine until the federal government decided to take away their source of income. But let's just blame that on the fact it's a red state (with a democratic governor by the way).
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:07 pm I read that KY has a county ( Owsley?) that is predominantly dependent on government aid/food stamps in the nation yet they continue to vote Republican and want little government involvement but are happy to take the federal aid. I also read that Owsley county is the nation’s poorest white-majority county in terms of annual median household income.

I believe that Owsley County also has one of the highest cancer rates in the county due to coal industry and poverty. Like a lot of Appalachia, it was always a poor county and they've lost what little industry they had, tobacco and coal. Hard to believe that people in Appalachia used to be called "Kennedy Democrats". I don't think that those in Appalachia vote Republican due to loss of jobs so much as the fact that they are, for the most part, deeply religious and mainly fundamental Christians. When you've lost everything else, your religio ends up being the only thing to hold onto.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:34 pm

I believe that Owsley County also has one of the highest cancer rates in the county due to coal industry and poverty. Like a lot of Appalachia, it was always a poor county and they've lost what little industry they had, tobacco and coal. Hard to believe that people in Appalachia used to be called "Kennedy Democrats". I don't think that those in Appalachia vote Republican due to loss of jobs so much as the fact that they are, for the most part, deeply religious and mainly fundamental Christians. When you've lost everything else, your religio ends up being the only thing to hold onto.
When you’ve lost everything else “ because democrats didn’t think you should be allowed to have it” you tend to vote Republican…

It’s not just that they’re poor, dumb and religious like most democratic leaders want to paint a picture of them.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:21 am

When you’ve lost everything else “ because democrats didn’t think you should be allowed to have it” you tend to vote Republican…

It’s not just that they’re poor, dumb and religious like most democratic leaders want to paint a picture of them.
The county votes Republican and has for more than a century.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:56 am

If this was over a century ago, which party would you more closely align with ?

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... y-platform

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... tform-1912
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:45 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:56 am

If this was over a century ago, which party would you more closely align with ?

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... y-platform

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... tform-1912
What does my preference have to do with how a county in Kentucky votes?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

You can't lose what you've never had.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... rest-towns
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:04 am

You can't lose what you've never had.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... rest-towns
What does that article have to do with what they had?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic