Americans are starving.

AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:05 am https://www.fcnl.org/updates/2023-11/to ... 20Missouri.

Top ten hungriest states… meaning most food insecure, the most hungry children going to bed at night… Texas makes the list.
Offhand, do you know what these individual state's are doing to help lower these percentages?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

All southern Red states........seems like a problem with the management of the governing party.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 am All southern Red states........seems like a problem with the management of the governing party.
I dunno, I’m from California, food insecurity is a problem everywhere.
https://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/our-work/ ... y%20(CHIS).
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:05 am https://www.fcnl.org/updates/2023-11/to ... 20Missouri.

Top ten hungriest states… meaning most food insecure, the most hungry children going to bed at night… Texas makes the list.

Offhand, do you know what these individual state's are doing to help lower these percentages?
I know 5 out of the 10 states declined to sign up for the Summer EBT program.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/12/us/s ... icans.html
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:02 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 am All southern Red states........seems like a problem with the management of the governing party.
I dunno, I’m from California, food insecurity is a problem everywhere.
https://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/our-work/ ... y%20(CHIS).
Absolutely but California money is so mismanaged. In a state that spends 42,000 per homeless person such poverty shouldn't exist but absolutely does. I'm still trying to figure out what they're doing with that money especially as I drive by miles of tents lining the freeways and watch homeless dig in the trash for food. I have a hard time believing there's only 181,000 homeless in California too though.
And food insecurity is terrible.
I moved from California to Kentucky and I see so much less homelessness and so much less food insecurity here. Now eastern Kentucky was hit hard and does have a lot of poverty because their livelihood was taken away when they shut down the coal mines. They were doing fine until the federal government decided to take away their source of income. But let's just blame that on the fact it's a red state (with a democratic governor by the way).
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Maybe - but let’s not forget those states are more rural too.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:40 pm
Oh there's a whole lot that contributes, certainly. But the fact that the poorest states in our country and the ones that rely the most on social programs tend to overwhelmingly also be red states that vote against funding social programs like the summer EBT for kids, is hard to ignore.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:55 pm
mater-three wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:40 pm
Oh there's a whole lot that contributes, certainly. But the fact that the poorest states in our country and the ones that rely the most on social programs tend to overwhelmingly also be red states that vote against funding social programs like the summer EBT for kids, is hard to ignore.
Yup…
Food insecurity among children increases in the summer, when millions of children lose access to free and reduced-price school meals. Some schools provide summer meal programs, but only about 1 in 6 children eligible for on-site summer meals actually get them because families lack transportation, especially in rural areas, The Washington Post reports.

Summer EBT programs address these problems by allowing families to use EBT cards at their local grocery store. Early pilot programs were shown to reduce the rate of children suffering extreme hunger by a third while also expanding access to healthier foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, according to the Post.
https://eji.org/news/alabama-rejects-mi ... -children/
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:24 am
SallyMae wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:15 am

Or we value the ability to kill people over the ability to feed people…
It's not either/or.
No, but as a capitalist society, changing to a more communistic form of government would be a lot harder to achieve than the lessening of a military budget.

And since a lessening of the military budget would solve the problem…

The easiest way for a ball to roll should be prioritized…
What do you mean by "a more communistic form of government"?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

The comments some of you make..... Good grief.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic