Mom says cashier scolded her for letting kid eat food in supermarket before paying: Who was right?

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I certainly don't want to touch something your kid has slobbered all over but even if they hadn't I don't care about people eating things before they pay for them, so long as it doesn't need to be weighed.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I agree. I always had snacks in the diaper bag if my kids needed a snack. But even my autistic kid knew the groceries weren't ours until they were paid for so he could no eat them until that time. What if you forget your card or there's a mistake and it gets declined?
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:11 pm Until the item is paid for it is still the property of the grocery store. Furthermore many grocery stores now offer either a free piece of fruit or a free cookie from the bakery for those that desire or need a "snack". There is simply no reason to open a package in the store before purchase. Now there may not be a law regarding it but I simply think it is bad manners and inconsiderate to open food products before paying for them.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Theoretically I think one should pay for their groceries first. But I don't always do that myself especially with drinks. If the cashier had an issue she could've said in the future can you please pay for the snacks first?
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nope. Not yours to eat unless it's paid for. And no, I have never done that.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

On the other hand, once it's paid for it IS yours, and I refuse to submit to having my groceries checked by a door attendant. If you think I stole something, call the police and good luck trying to prove it, but if not then I'm leaving, goodbye.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Seeing a person that has the worst bad manners of them all type that it is bad manners in this situation is hilarious and hypocritical! :lol:
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:11 pm Until the item is paid for it is still the property of the grocery store. Furthermore many grocery stores now offer either a free piece of fruit or a free cookie from the bakery for those that desire or need a "snack". There is simply no reason to open a package in the store before purchase. Now there may not be a law regarding it but I simply think it is bad manners and inconsiderate to open food products before paying for them.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Honestly, life happens. I’d rather a child not walk around the store hangry as long as the parent is able to pay for the product before they leave.

I have never had to do that with my steps or family but I it’s not something I judge people for.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:29 am Seeing a person that has the worst bad manners of them all type that it is bad manners in this situation is hilarious and hypocritical! :lol:
Get the f**k over it troll.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:44 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:29 am Seeing a person that has the worst bad manners of them all type that it is bad manners in this situation is hilarious and hypocritical! :lol:
Get the f**k over it troll.
She’s right. You’re probably not the right person to be giving advice on manners or being inconsiderate.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:29 am On the other hand, once it's paid for it IS yours, and I refuse to submit to having my groceries checked by a door attendant. If you think I stole something, call the police and good luck trying to prove it, but if not then I'm leaving, goodbye.
I don't stop for the door attendant either. I'll smile and say "hi" to acknowledge their presence but I just keep on walking out the door. No one has ever tried to say anything to me or stop me, and I think it's because they know they can't. Like you said, I've paid, they're rightfully mine, I have no further obligation.
There are other more effective ways for stores to reduce theft if that's what their goal is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic