We have to start making better decisions for our kids. First step- don’t throw them in a tank of sharks

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thank God the boy is going to be ok…But we should all realize that putting a child in a tank full of sharks is a bad idea. They bite.
Just because a resort says “ Oh yeah, it’s fine”, it’s not fine.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/01/18/bahamas- ... ming-bite/
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I agree. When I saw those sharks swimming around in that tank on the news this morning I was horrified. Who would do this?? That said we have swam with those huge sting rays in both Grand Cayman and Antigua. People let their guard down on vacations I suppose and sign up for these things thinking nothing will happen as tons of people do it.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We would do it as a family. In all the years it has been open there has never been an incident, so the actual risk was probably less risky then letting our kids ride bikes. I feel bad for the boy but thankfully he will be okay.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've done some pretty crazy things with animals and my kids have joined me. Generally there is known risk and that is weighed against the benefit. I didn't watch the video, but being bitten by sharks is pretty horrifying whether you're in a shark tank or just enjoying the beach but the risk is there at both.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Animals are unpredictable and children are even more so. There is always a risk, even with the family pet. But surely you aren't accusing people of being "bad parents" or "not making better decisions" for having pets.

Now I can't say one way or another who is at fault in the particular Shark Tank incident until the report comes out. Kid could have been ignoring instruction and holding bait down by his leg and that led to the bite, there could have been too many people for the staff to watch to make sure the sharks didn't get too close, IDK. That said there is always a risk and subsequent liability form the parents sign to "participate" in these sorts of "interact with the wildlife" activities which is at least a step up in responsibility than say a parent taking a kid to the beach and having them bit by a shark there.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I didn’t say they were bad parents, but it is a bad idea to put a child in a tank of sharks…
Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 pm Animals are unpredictable and children are even more so. There is always a risk, even with the family pet. But surely you aren't accusing people of being "bad parents" or "not making better decisions" for having pets.

Now I can't say one way or another who is at fault in the particular Shark Tank incident until the report comes out. Kid could have been ignoring instruction and holding bait down by his leg and that led to the bite, there could have been too many people for the staff to watch to make sure the sharks didn't get too close, IDK. That said there is always a risk and subsequent liability form the parents sign to "participate" in these sorts of "interact with the wildlife" activities which is at least a step up in responsibility than say a parent taking a kid to the beach and having them bit by a shark there.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:29 pm I didn’t say they were bad parents, but it is a bad idea to put a child in a tank of sharks…
Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 pm Animals are unpredictable and children are even more so. There is always a risk, even with the family pet. But surely you aren't accusing people of being "bad parents" or "not making better decisions" for having pets.

It's a bad idea to leave a kid unattended with a family pet, it's a bad idea to let kids walk to school, it's a bad idea to let kids do a lot of things, but we can't keep them in a bubble forever. At 10. I think the kid was old enough to follow directions and understand the risks of entering a pool full of sharks himself as well as get parental permission. Now if the child were like 3 years then yes, I agree terrible idea. At 10 it's a little more " based on the child's level of maturity"
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What I understand there is no bait involved at all. But If a shark brushed by this boy, I wonder if instinctually he may have moved his leg quickly causing the shark to feel threatened and bit the boy. No fault of either the boy or the shark, only fault lies with the hotel that thought this attraction was a good idea

These type of attractions should not exist. I am so against the swim with the sharks, dolphins, turtles, sting-rays. Whatever it is, they should not exist. The only reason they do is for our enjoyments, definitely not for the enjoyment of the animals.

I feel the same way about beauty products, a bunny does not need to be blinded so I can apply my moisturizer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic