Another temperature spin off

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My husband and I have very different preferences when it comes to temperature and what we are comfortable with. We don't argue over it, we just kind of take turns being uncomfortable and that works for us.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that if my husband is too hot or too cold, he automatically switches the setting from heat to cool or vice versa, rather than simply changing the temperature, changing his clothes, turning on the fan, opening a door, going outside, etc.

Based on what I'm reading in the other posts, you all like it very cool in your home even during the winter. So, if you came home and it was too warm or stuffy in your house, what would be your first move? Turn on the A/C?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn't say people like it cooler in their houses during winter but rather they are balancing between comfort on the temperature and the bank account ( heating a house tends to cost more than cooling one does.)

Now with that said if I come home in the winter and my house is too stuffy. I'm checking the thermostat and turning it down. In summer I'm grabbing a fan to circulate the air before turning the a/c higher. Your husband just sounds lazy and like he doesn't give 2 shits about how to use the thermostat.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I would bump the temp up or down a few degrees. I only switch the cool/heat during the change of seasons.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Depends on how hot I am. I’ve opened the door if it’s too hot, even if it’s 20 degrees outside. I can’t do hot.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I keep my house warm because I'm always freezing. DH is always hot even when we have AC on. He just uses a fan. If I was too hot for some reason I would also use a fan. I can easily tolerate 88-89 degree weather but it kills my DH so the AC gets ran for him.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When I’m hot the first thing I do is take off my socks and any other added layer, and vice versa. DH runs hot, so he usually bumps the temperature up or down depending on whether he is hot or cold. There have been times where we have switched it from heater to a/c, though. Those days usually come in spring and fall. When in the morning you can see your breath, but by afternoon it almost 80.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:26 pm I wouldn't say people like it cooler in their houses during winter but rather they are balancing between comfort on the temperature and the bank account ( heating a house tends to cost more than cooling one does.)

Now with that said if I come home in the winter and my house is too stuffy. I'm checking the thermostat and turning it down. In summer I'm grabbing a fan to circulate the air before turning the a/c higher. Your husband just sounds lazy and like he doesn't give 2 shits about how to use the thermostat.
I think it is less laziness and more because he is not from a place where you grow up using air conditioner. More than likely, no one ever taught him what to do once he moved here.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:13 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:26 pm I wouldn't say people like it cooler in their houses during winter but rather they are balancing between comfort on the temperature and the bank account ( heating a house tends to cost more than cooling one does.)

I think it is less laziness and more because he is not from a place where you grow up using air conditioner. More than likely, no one ever taught him what to do once he moved here.
Well he's ypur husband so you would know better than most. How long have you been married and why haven't you tried to teach him otherwise?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:23 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:13 pm

Well he's ypur husband so you would know better than most. How long have you been married and why haven't you tried to teach him otherwise?
We have been married for 11 years. My issues with being cold all the time started this year so this winter is the first time I have ever had the heater on regularly and thus noticed how quick he is to switch it from heating to cooling.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 pm My husband and I have very different preferences when it comes to temperature and what we are comfortable with. We don't argue over it, we just kind of take turns being uncomfortable and that works for us.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that if my husband is too hot or too cold, he automatically switches the setting from heat to cool or vice versa, rather than simply changing the temperature, changing his clothes, turning on the fan, opening a door, going outside, etc.

Based on what I'm reading in the other posts, you all like it very cool in your home even during the winter. So, if you came home and it was too warm or stuffy in your house, what would be your first move? Turn on the A/C?
Is it winterime? If so, I'd open a window or door.

Is it summertime? Then I'd double-check that the AC is working correctly and if so, I'd go take a dip in the pool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic