Anyone deal with anything similar?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We want to build a new house on the back part of property but would need to share a driveway with our neighbor. We have talked to her several times about this and she seemed fine with it. Then the last time we talked to her she requested that we get an attorney and get everything in writing so we did. Now we told her we have the written agreement from the attorney and would like to go over it with her and she said she has a lot going on and cannot take anything else on for a few months. We will ask the attorney on Monday if there is any way to speed up the process or not but has anyone else dealt with anything similar where the person won't read the agreement or sign it until they want to?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I haven't but it sounds like the neighbor is having second thoughts over the driveway issue. Idk how easements are established. My parents have a shared driveway but that existed when they bought their house. I'd flat out ask her if she no longer wants to grant the easement and if the answer is no, figure out your own exit. You could also offer payment for the easement or offer to pay for upkeep of the shared driveway.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It would probably be better to go through the city and see about an easement.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What do you mean by "Share" a driveway? Is it that the neighbor's property abuts yours and you'd be right next to one another in close proximity because their driveway is on the edge of their property, or do you mean you'd have to literally drive through your neighbors property to reach yours. In either case it seems like your best bet is talking to the city about an easement or property rights, for everyone's benefit not only now but in the future in case anyone sells as well.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

If the current driveway is on her land, you are requesting an appurtenant easement. The landowner has no obligation to grant you that easement and it may be in her best interest not to do so (I wouldn't). It could be that she has spoken to someone who has recommended that she reconsider.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic