Where do I go from here?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My stbx dh is looking at serious prison time. I’m not going to get into what he did, but his trial is in March. So I’m trying to start making a list of what I’m going to need to do in the event he goes away. Things like getting the phone bill in my name, shutting his phone line off, taking him off my car insurance, etc.

Idk if anyone has any experience or maybe just thoughts on what might come up? I’m trying to prepare ahead so I start making moves instead of floundering and trying to figure it all out when it’s still raw.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sounds like you are taking first steps to care for yourself. That is good. The process should not be that different from any other divorce, though it may have different repercussions for any children involved.

Look at all your bills, income and expenses. Decide if you will be able to cover them on your own and if not, start eliminating everything that is not a necessity. Make a list of any accounts you will need to change over to your own name and start that process now. If you have a lease or mortgage in both names you will need to determine if that can be refinanced or titled to you alone.

Take steps to separate your credit card accounts, bank accounts and any investments. Don't forget to change the beneficiary listed on any retirement accounts or life insurance policies.

Have a new Will made and designate a guardian for any minor children in the event that their father is not available.

There are multiple programs to assist children of incarcerated parents, you can find them on Google. Best of luck facing this challenge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic