Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:35 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm

I wouldn't debase myself by using tiktok....especially not for anything educational or academic. If you can't use it as a source in a research paper, it is not academic or scientific.
TikTok can be educational. I follow a bible scholar who does reference books and papers one can do further research with. Sure you got to take some of it with a grain of salt. Nor would I reference what say Joe Blow says. But if Joe Blow is a PhD in say the study of Tarot cards and wrote a book you can reference that. Some creators do promote their studies and books in just this way.

Very few imo. But that's just it they are promoting their studies with LINKS to their actual research usually in the comments or tags....if links are missing well, then it's just tiktok trash going viral. Academic tiktoks rarely go viral
Idk if they go viral. I do know these creators have quite a large following. TikTok is a medium just like TV or YouTube. there's good and there's trash. At one time yes I thought it was dumb and a lot of it still is. But I wouldn't say one is debasing themselves by listening to it. As for the subject at hand I think the woman is taking social media far too seriously. Some people like a post and think nothing more about that person. It's just a click to them. I've done it just to be polite. Others don't comment but they care deeply about the poster. Maybe they want to call them or tell them in person. It depends on how they view social media itself.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:24 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:54 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:04 pm I think she has too much time on her hands..this is what people think about? I just can't give things like who likes my posts/comments on social media a thought. I mean, who cares?
My personal profiles on social media are super private. I don't add people I don't know, no work friends, etc. However, I do have pages for my businesses which are active and I rely on for marketing purposes. Anyone who runs a small business and uses social media for marketing will tell you that complete strangers are more likely to help support your ventures via social media engagement than the people who are closest to you. I don't know what the reason for that is but I think it's sad.
There are authors I follow on TikTok but I'd support them by buying their books. Same with a business. I'm going to buy their product or use their services. I do comment a lot on TikTok creators who are there to inform. But I'm not sure how I help a business by social media engagement. So unless they are there to inform me typically I don't engage. It's nothing personal, I'd just don't comment on their pages. Besides, the only person I know who does own a business is my boss and honestly, he hates social media.
You can help a business (especially someone just starting out) by sharing and liking/following their page. That helps a lot. More people who follow, share, like the page, the more people who are likely to see it. More people who see it, more potential sales. Commenting on posts aren’t such a big deal; however writing a review for their page is a great help.

***We have a small business (coffee roasting) with a FB and instagram page, and our friends, family, and community have been a great help with promoting and supporting it.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

PixieLu3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:45 pm 1. A credible source of information (especially in today's society) would typically include academic books, academic journals, academic papers, etc... something that is "polling" is typically simply a popular opinion (that doesn't make it factual).
If you poll a sample of plumbers living in New York on the question "Does climate change exist?" and 75% say no, that doesn't make "Climate change does not exist" a fact.

If you poll a sample of plumbers living in New York on that issue and 75% say no, and IF the poll questions are professionally worded (clearly, neutrally, and with a mind to human cognitive flaws), and IF the sampling is unbiased, and IF the sample size is appropriate THEN "There is a greater than 95% chance that between 78% and 72% of plumbers in New York think that climate change does not exist" is as factual as the reading a scientist takes with other measuring instruments such as a rulers or thermometers.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:35 pm
PixieLu3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:45 pm 1. A credible source of information (especially in today's society) would typically include academic books, academic journals, academic papers, etc... something that is "polling" is typically simply a popular opinion (that doesn't make it factual).
If you poll a sample of plumbers living in New York on the question "Does climate change exist?" and 75% say no, that doesn't make "Climate change does not exist" a fact.

If you poll a sample of plumbers living in New York on that issue and 75% say no, and IF the poll questions are professionally worded (clearly, neutrally, and with a mind to human cognitive flaws), and IF the sampling is unbiased, and IF the sample size is appropriate THEN "There is a greater than 95% chance that between 78% and 72% of plumbers in New York think that climate change does not exist" is as factual as the reading a scientist takes with other measuring instruments such as a rulers or thermometers.
Yes, I believe that was the point being made on why Pew Research is unreliable as an academic source
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:49 pm
Aletheia wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:35 pm

Yes, I believe that was the point being made on why Pew Research is unreliable as an academic source
It depends, I think, on how you are using it.

For example: https://www.pewresearch.org/methods/datasets/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic