How they interact w/ you on social media is exactly how they feel about you

mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:56 pm

But that's exactly what she's doing....just because it's a tiktok video doesn't mean it's not an academic comment on society...
Is she? My objection has little to do with it being TikTok, though it doesn’t help plus there is no mention of a name we can look up or any credentials to suggest this is an “academic comment on society”. But it mainly has to do with how the OP was framed. The framing sounds much more like encouragement of individuals analyzing their engagement on social media as how they are perceived in real life. I think people do that already and it is a detriment to their self esteem and self worth and/or relationships. Maybe you should post the TikTok you are referring to so we have more than just your summarized version of it.
If I knew how, I would. I don't think she was encouraging people to do anything, she was making her own commentary. One reason I'm glad I left academia is the snobbiness. You can absolutely discuss academic subjects in a 30 second video, you just aren't going to do a deep dive there.
You can post a name or link. I know you can educate/discuss/etc. academic topics in TikTok videos, but that’s not what we are doing here. You are relaying your interpretation of a supposedly academic take on social media TikTok video, and we are discussing that. I didn’t say that’s what I think she is saying. I said that is my pov from the way you framed it in the OP. That’s why a name to look up the video or a link to it would be much better at clearing up anything lost in translation.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:57 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:54 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:35 pm

Sounds like you left academia because you couldn't keep up or compete, but hey there's always tiktok.
You think I'm slow because I follow The Institute of Physics on a social media site? Make it make sense, Bacon. You can't. You hit below the belt because it's the only thing you can do.
Just because you follow does not mean you comprehend. And the institute of physics does not deal in the analysis of social sciences in regards to media use. Physics is mathematics. Your source is not credible if they are discussing another field of study.
You know that was just an example.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:59 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm

Is she? My objection has little to do with it being TikTok, though it doesn’t help plus there is no mention of a name we can look up or any credentials to suggest this is an “academic comment on society”. But it mainly has to do with how the OP was framed. The framing sounds much more like encouragement of individuals analyzing their engagement on social media as how they are perceived in real life. I think people do that already and it is a detriment to their self esteem and self worth and/or relationships. Maybe you should post the TikTok you are referring to so we have more than just your summarized version of it.
If I knew how, I would. I don't think she was encouraging people to do anything, she was making her own commentary. One reason I'm glad I left academia is the snobbiness. You can absolutely discuss academic subjects in a 30 second video, you just aren't going to do a deep dive there.
You can post a name or link. I know you can educate/discuss/etc. academic topics in TikTok videos, but that’s not what we are doing here. You are relaying your interpretation of a supposedly academic take on social media TikTok video, and we are discussing that. I didn’t say that’s what I think she is saying. I said that is my pov from the way you framed it in the OP. That’s why a name to look up the video or a link to it would be much better at clearing up anything lost in translation.
I'll go back and look through my watched videos to see if I can find it.

Yes, we're discussing my paraphrasing of her video but you automatically said it couldn't be worth analyzing because you think she's talking about an individual's social media following rather than human behavior and society in general because it's Tiktok.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:54 pm

You think I'm slow because I follow The Institute of Physics on a social media site? Make it make sense, Bacon. You can't. You hit below the belt because it's the only thing you can do.
Just because you follow does not mean you comprehend. And the institute of physics does not deal in the analysis of social sciences in regards to media use. Physics is mathematics. Your source is not credible if they are discussing another field of study.
So you don't follow the Institute of Physics....why mention it then? Don't tell me, to try and make yourself sound more educated and give false clout to your tiktok source as being "academic"
Anonymous 1

Unread post

PixieLu3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:54 pm So just throwing in this little nugget...regardless of if the information being shared is factual, it cannot be used as credible due the platform. If you want anyone to take you at your word, or accept the information, you need to provide credible sources that support the Tik Tok video.
No one needs to take me at my word. I posted a topic for us to discuss, you can simply respond to that if you would like. Do I think it could be counted as social commentary of an academic degree? Yes. Insisting otherwise just because it's Tiktok is, indeed, snobby. But I'm also okay with this not being an academic discussion. I'm not aware of academic papers analyzing "hate following" which is, apparently, what it's called. Perhaps it just isn't of interest in the academic world yet.

I found this on PEW which we can perhaps draw conclusions from but it doesn't exactly hit hard on the topic of WHY people engage or do not engage. They cite sources, though.

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/20 ... from-them/

If you're okay with a less academic source, there are dozens and dozens of articles that come up with a simple google search.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:10 pm

So you don't follow the Institute of Physics....why mention it then? Don't tell me, to try and make yourself sound more educated and give false clout to your tiktok source as being "academic"
Yes, I do follow them. I used this an example because you and others here don't appear to believe that academia would "debase" themselves by using tiktok and that it isn't possible to have academic discourse on the app. I thought of one of the accounts which I watch most often even though it is not directly related to this topic at hand.
PixieLu3
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:18 pm
PixieLu3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:54 pm So just throwing in this little nugget...regardless of if the information being shared is factual, it cannot be used as credible due the platform. If you want anyone to take you at your word, or accept the information, you need to provide credible sources that support the Tik Tok video.
No one needs to take me at my word. I posted a topic for us to discuss, you can simply respond to that if you would like. Do I think it could be counted as social commentary of an academic degree? Yes. Insisting otherwise just because it's Tiktok is, indeed, snobby. But I'm also okay with this not being an academic discussion. I'm not aware of academic papers analyzing "hate following" which is, apparently, what it's called. Perhaps it just isn't of interest in the academic world yet.

I found this on PEW which we can perhaps draw conclusions from but it doesn't exactly hit hard on the topic of WHY people engage or do not engage. They cite sources, though.

If you're okay with a less academic source, there are dozens and dozens of articles that come up with a simple google search.

I said nothing about taking you at your word, I was just simply stating an "academic" fact of information obtained on social media is not credible, and because it's not credible you have those, like Bacon, who will essentially "call you out on your bs." Sorry if trying to help you came off as "snobby", but if that's what you "feel" it's no wonder why Bacon is clearly upsetting and "offending" you. Also, PEW is not a credible source either, but I appreciate the college effort.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm

Yes, I do follow them. I used this an example because you and others here don't appear to believe that academia would "debase" themselves by using tiktok and that it isn't possible to have academic discourse on the app. I thought of one of the accounts which I watch most often even though it is not directly related to this topic at hand.
So you used it to try to gain clout or credibility.. and failed. Step away from the tiktok. Saying tiktok is "academic" is like saying only fans is a "companionship/dating" site.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

PixieLu3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:24 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:18 pm

I said nothing about taking you at your word, I was just simply stating an "academic" fact of information obtained on social media is not credible, and because it's not credible you have those, like Bacon, who will essentially "call you out on your bs." Sorry if trying to help you came off as "snobby", but if that's what you "feel" it's no wonder why Bacon is clearly upsetting and "offending" you. Also, PEW is not a credible source either, but I appreciate the college effort.
I'm not upset or offended, I'm having a conversation. You did, in fact, say something about taking me at my word. The PEW research center is non partisan and is considered one of the more scholarly and generally well respected sources out there, with favorable ratings from both conservatives and liberals. The link I posted is mostly polling, it's very light on opinions and conclusions. What, exactly, do you take issue with? You're going to request academic sources and then reject one of the most reputable polling organizations out there? K.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/pew-research
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:25 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm

So you used it to try to gain clout or credibility.. and failed. Step away from the tiktok. Saying tiktok is "academic" is like saying only fans is a "companionship/dating" site.
I used it as an example that TikTok can be academic, not that the account discusses social commentary. You know that. Everyone here knows that. You're just blowing hot air. You'd get a lot of followers on TikTok, maybe you should debase yourself there instead of here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic