How they interact w/ you on social media is exactly how they feel about you

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:03 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:56 pm

But that's exactly what she's doing....just because it's a tiktok video doesn't mean it's not an academic comment on society...
I know you didn't just try saying that with a straight face. Omg tiktok videos as "academic comments on society"
You're not on Tiktok, are you? There is actually quite a lot of academia on Tiktok, no different than Youtube.
Attachments
42cb3b3c59bdffef9c0708315dd47263.jpg
42cb3b3c59bdffef9c0708315dd47263.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:06 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 pm

I know you didn't just try saying that with a straight face. Omg tiktok videos as "academic comments on society"
You're not on Tiktok, are you? There is actually quite a lot of academia on Tiktok, no different than Youtube.
If your tiktok algorithm isn't showing you academic and educational accounts, you know how an algorithm works.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:10 pm

If your tiktok algorithm isn't showing you academic and educational accounts, you know how an algorithm works.
I wouldn't debase myself by using tiktok....especially not for anything educational or academic. If you can't use it as a source in a research paper, it is not academic or scientific.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:50 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:50 pm

I think it is worthwhile analyzing social media. In ye olden days, things like this really didn't affect our lives very much. Even when social media sites started coming out, they weren't "real life" and were super removed from our real lives. But those things are changing. Social media has now become real media which affects our real lives, so it's worth analyzing just like we would a news article.
I’m not talking about studying social media and its effects on society and vice versa. I’m talking about not over analyzing our relationships with people by how they react/respond/comment/engage with your posts on FB, Instagram, etc. I don’t think it’s that indicative of how that person views you, but it can affect your mental well-being if you start to overthink about why so and so didn’t like your post but they told you how cute the picture was in person. Your worth isn’t dependent upon your social media engagement.
But that's exactly what she's doing....just because it's a tiktok video doesn't mean it's not an academic comment on society...
Is she? My objection has little to do with it being TikTok, though it doesn’t help plus there is no mention of a name we can look up or any credentials to suggest this is an “academic comment on society”. But it mainly has to do with how the OP was framed. The framing sounds much more like encouragement of individuals analyzing their engagement on social media as how they are perceived in real life. I think people do that already and it is a detriment to their self esteem and self worth and/or relationships. Maybe you should post the TikTok you are referring to so we have more than just your summarized version of it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:10 pm
I wouldn't debase myself by using tiktok....especially not for anything educational or academic. If you can't use it as a source in a research paper, it is not academic or scientific.
LOL OK. The writers of those papers on tiktok, but we're not allowed to talk about tiktok because Bacon says so.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:13 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:50 am

I’m not talking about studying social media and its effects on society and vice versa. I’m talking about not over analyzing our relationships with people by how they react/respond/comment/engage with your posts on FB, Instagram, etc. I don’t think it’s that indicative of how that person views you, but it can affect your mental well-being if you start to overthink about why so and so didn’t like your post but they told you how cute the picture was in person. Your worth isn’t dependent upon your social media engagement.
Is she? My objection has little to do with it being TikTok, though it doesn’t help plus there is no mention of a name we can look up or any credentials to suggest this is an “academic comment on society”. But it mainly has to do with how the OP was framed. The framing sounds much more like encouragement of individuals analyzing their engagement on social media as how they are perceived in real life. I think people do that already and it is a detriment to their self esteem and self worth and/or relationships. Maybe you should post the TikTok you are referring to so we have more than just your summarized version of it.
If I knew how, I would. I don't think she was encouraging people to do anything, she was making her own commentary. One reason I'm glad I left academia is the snobbiness. You can absolutely discuss academic subjects in a 30 second video, you just aren't going to do a deep dive there.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 pm

If I knew how, I would. I don't think she was encouraging people to do anything, she was making her own commentary. One reason I'm glad I left academia is the snobbiness. You can absolutely discuss academic subjects in a 30 second video, you just aren't going to do a deep dive there.
Sounds like you left academia because you couldn't keep up or compete, but hey there's always tiktok.
PixieLu3
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

So just throwing in this little nugget...regardless of if the information being shared is factual, it cannot be used as credible due the platform. If you want anyone to take you at your word, or accept the information, you need to provide credible sources that support the Tik Tok video.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:35 pm

Sounds like you left academia because you couldn't keep up or compete, but hey there's always tiktok.
You think I'm slow because I follow The Institute of Physics on a social media site? Make it make sense, Bacon. You can't. You hit below the belt because it's the only thing you can do.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:54 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:35 pm

You think I'm slow because I follow The Institute of Physics on a social media site? Make it make sense, Bacon. You can't. You hit below the belt because it's the only thing you can do.
Just because you follow does not mean you comprehend. And the institute of physics does not deal in the analysis of social sciences in regards to media use. Physics is mathematics. Your source is not credible if they are discussing another field of study.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic