How they interact w/ you on social media is exactly how they feel about you

Anonymous 1

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 pm Why are we over analyzing social media engagement? Don’t take it so seriously. You have enough stress in your life to be overthinking about why someone did or didn’t like your posts.
I think it is worthwhile analyzing social media. In ye olden days, things like this really didn't affect our lives very much. Even when social media sites started coming out, they weren't "real life" and were super removed from our real lives. But those things are changing. Social media has now become real media which affects our real lives, so it's worth analyzing just like we would a news article.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think people put too much stock into social media and not into what the relationship is in reality. I love my bff, but I'm not going to spew hate on her if she doesn't "like" a post. That's asinine thinking to compare one plane of communication with actual reality.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:04 pm I think she has too much time on her hands..this is what people think about? I just can't give things like who likes my posts/comments on social media a thought. I mean, who cares?
My personal profiles on social media are super private. I don't add people I don't know, no work friends, etc. However, I do have pages for my businesses which are active and I rely on for marketing purposes. Anyone who runs a small business and uses social media for marketing will tell you that complete strangers are more likely to help support your ventures via social media engagement than the people who are closest to you. I don't know what the reason for that is but I think it's sad.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

jas wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:53 pm I think people put too much stock into social media and not into what the relationship is in reality. I love my bff, but I'm not going to spew hate on her if she doesn't "like" a post. That's asinine thinking to compare one plane of communication with actual reality.
Huh? No one is talking about spewing hate?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:50 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 pm Why are we over analyzing social media engagement? Don’t take it so seriously. You have enough stress in your life to be overthinking about why someone did or didn’t like your posts.
I think it is worthwhile analyzing social media. In ye olden days, things like this really didn't affect our lives very much. Even when social media sites started coming out, they weren't "real life" and were super removed from our real lives. But those things are changing. Social media has now become real media which affects our real lives, so it's worth analyzing just like we would a news article.
I’m not talking about studying social media and its effects on society and vice versa. I’m talking about not over analyzing our relationships with people by how they react/respond/comment/engage with your posts on FB, Instagram, etc. I don’t think it’s that indicative of how that person views you, but it can affect your mental well-being if you start to overthink about why so and so didn’t like your post but they told you how cute the picture was in person. Your worth isn’t dependent upon your social media engagement.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I think "she" is giving entirely too much significance to social media in general.

I can understand when it's someone known to you but even then, try to not put too much stock in their responses.

Anyone else....those we don't know...big woo. Kwim?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:50 am
I’m not talking about studying social media and its effects on society and vice versa. I’m talking about not over analyzing our relationships with people by how they react/respond/comment/engage with your posts on FB, Instagram, etc. I don’t think it’s that indicative of how that person views you, but it can affect your mental well-being if you start to overthink about why so and so didn’t like your post but they told you how cute the picture was in person. Your worth isn’t dependent upon your social media engagement.
But that's exactly what she's doing....just because it's a tiktok video doesn't mean it's not an academic comment on society...
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:56 pm

But that's exactly what she's doing....just because it's a tiktok video doesn't mean it's not an academic comment on society...
I know you didn't just try saying that with a straight face. Omg tiktok videos as "academic comments on society"
Attachments
200w.gif
200w.gif (401.35 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 pm

I know you didn't just try saying that with a straight face. Omg tiktok videos as "academic comments on society"
This was me...not sure why it posted anon. Probably hit the button accidentally when adding the image.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 pm

You're not on Tiktok, are you? There is actually quite a lot of academia on Tiktok, no different than Youtube.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic