Southwests customer of size policy

Anonymous 1

Unread post

So if overweight people get an extra seat free because they don't fit in a standard seat why don't tall people get upgraded to more legroom free? My son barely fits in an average seat because he's tall why should people be forced to pay more for something out of their control while others get free things for something that they can (usually) change.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've seen discussions on this policy online. Apparently it's not a new policy, it's been around for years. It's just not been well known about because Southwest hasn't really advertised it.

But the big picture isn't about fat people v tall people, and if we let it be about that we are being exactly as distracted as they want us to be. The bigger issue is that over the years us humans (or at least US humans) have been getting bigger in both directions, but over the years airline seats have been getting smaller and more cramped. The airlines fit more seats into the planes so they can sell more tickets and we all suffer for it. We need to demand that airlines make their seats wider and give more legroom so that we don't have to be all cramped and crabby at each other. Even if it would drive ticket prices up it would be worth it.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm guessing because the overweight people encroach into other people's spaces whereas the only person being inconvenienced by the tall person is themselves.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:52 am I'm guessing because the overweight people encroach into other people's spaces whereas the only person being inconvenienced by the tall person is themselves.
Except I have read stories where the tall person's knees are pushed into the seat in front of them to the extent that the seat in front can't then recline, not even the measly 2" of recline that they give you. And then that person gets mad at tall person and tall person is like "I'm sorry, it's my knees, nothing I can do." So sometimes tall inconveniences others as well.

Hence why we all need to be mad at the airlines for thinking we're all the size of a 6yo, and stop being mad at each other for encroaching on each other's space.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:04 pm
RIZZY wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:52 am I'm guessing because the overweight people encroach into other people's spaces whereas the only person being inconvenienced by the tall person is themselves.
Except I have read stories where the tall person's knees are pushed into the seat in front of them to the extent that the seat in front can't then recline, not even the measly 2" of recline that they give you. And then that person gets mad at tall person and tall person is like "I'm sorry, it's my knees, nothing I can do." So sometimes tall inconveniences others as well.

Hence why we all need to be mad at the airlines for thinking we're all the size of a 6yo, and stop being mad at each other for encroaching on each other's space.
While you have a point, almost 40% of Americans are obese and only about 15% of Americans are over 6' tall and in order to have your knees pushing the seat forward, you're probably looking at something like 6'5". My 6'3" son flies with no problem to other passengers, for example. They are more likely to have policies in place for something that is happening as often as 40% of the time rather than 15% of the time.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:37 pm

While you have a point, almost 40% of Americans are obese and only about 15% of Americans are over 6' tall and in order to have your knees pushing the seat forward, you're probably looking at something like 6'5". My 6'3" son flies with no problem to other passengers, for example. They are more likely to have policies in place for something that is happening as often as 40% of the time rather than 15% of the time.
It depends on your build too. My 6 ft son barely fits in the seats. His knees hit the seat in front of him everytime. He has long legs though. My daughter has a longer torso and shorter legs so even if she was 6 ft she would be fine.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:00 pm
RIZZY wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:37 pm

It depends on your build too. My 6 ft son barely fits in the seats. His knees hit the seat in front of him everytime. He has long legs though. My daughter has a longer torso and shorter legs so even if she was 6 ft she would be fine.
That is true. I'm only 5' but I'm all torso. When I sit down next to her, I am "taller" in my chair than my 5'7" mother in law, who is all legs. That said, I think if it were happening often enough- as often as say, 40% of the time, they would already have a policy in place. I would be surprised to find out they made a policy based on something that happens less than 20% of the time. But perhaps it is happening more often and people simply need to complain more.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 am So if overweight people get an extra seat free because they don't fit in a standard seat why don't tall people get upgraded to more legroom free? My son barely fits in an average seat because he's tall why should people be forced to pay more for something out of their control while others get free things for something that they can (usually) change.
As others have pointed out, you are more likely to encounter someone who is too wide for their seat more often than someone that is too tall, if you have an overwhelming demographic of those that are too tall for their seats then chances are they're flying first class anyhow (I'm referring to basketball players and Olympians here). For the general population wide > taller in that you have more overweight or heavy set people than tall
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 am So if overweight people get an extra seat free because they don't fit in a standard seat why don't tall people get upgraded to more legroom free? My son barely fits in an average seat because he's tall why should people be forced to pay more for something out of their control while others get free things for something that they can (usually) change.
Generally, if you are tall, you can request bulkhead seating when you book the flight. I don’t know about Southwest but other airlines are pretty quick to accommodate at least in my experience.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

It’s a safety issue. If someone can’t wear a singular seat belt they could be or injure someone else in turbulent weather or in an emergency, being tall doesn’t prevent you from wearing the belt. My husband is 6”3 and is always squished, but sucks it up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic