Concerns about the new Dog Virus.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am concerned about this dog virus. I usually get my dog groomed every 6 weeks. They are saying to avoid boarding, dog parks and groomers.

Thoughts.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I didn't know they were saying to avoid groomers but for some people they can't. I can't manage my big dog alone so I pay someone to groom her.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:43 am I didn't know they were saying to avoid groomers but for some people they can't. I can't manage my big dog alone so I pay someone to groom her.
Tips for dog owners to avoid the mystery respiratory illness

Although researchers are not yet sure what causes the illness, below are tips from the AVMA and Vidal-Abarca as well as other vets, to help avoid your dog from becoming infected with it.

Make sure your dog has been fully vaccinated - especially for kennel cough. While the existing vaccines may not specifically target the unknown infection, maintaining overall health through routine vaccinations helps support a dog’s immune system.
Avoid dog parks, pet stores and grooming facilities with your canine companion, if possible.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 716644007/
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Can you find a mobile groomer to come to you?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:15 am Can you find a mobile groomer to come to you?
I don't like the one in this area. Very expensive and the cut was awful.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I've heard about this virus. I have a German Shepherd who I take to the groomers also. I guess I'm going to wait. He isn't going to the boarding place as we have no vacations scheduled until the summer so thank goodness for that. I don't know what kind of dog you have but what I would do is if it is a dog that HAS to be groomed for their health/matting etc then do it and hope for the best. If the dog is like a lab or something and can wait then just wait.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:33 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:15 am Can you find a mobile groomer to come to you?
I don't like the one in this area. Very expensive and the cut was awful.
I don't think the risk would be any less. They still have tons of dogs coming through.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We groom our own dogs and have for the past few years, it was intimidating at first but after a couple tries it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be to do a basic clipping. I know that isn’t an option for all dogs depending on their coats and temperament, but if that is an option for you I would recommend it.

Groomers are a little bit safer because there shouldn’t be any direct contact between dogs, but I would still take precaution. Call your groomer and ask them what sanitization measures they are taking. We have a friend who does dog grooming and even though there haven’t been cases in our state, she still has modified her cleaning routine. All kennels, tables, and grooming equipment are sanitized between dogs using the same processes you would use to clean enclosures used for dogs with kennel cough at a veterinary office. Most groomers want to take every measure to prevent the spread of disease because most genuinely care about the dogs or at least don’t want their business linked to an outbreak as it could kill their income. I would also ask the groomer to shave the dog down as short as is safe for the breed, even if it doesn’t look as great, to spread out the need for grooming as much as possible.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:49 pm I've heard about this virus. I have a German Shepherd who I take to the groomers also. I guess I'm going to wait. He isn't going to the boarding place as we have no vacations scheduled until the summer so thank goodness for that. I don't know what kind of dog you have but what I would do is if it is a dog that HAS to be groomed for their health/matting etc then do it and hope for the best. If the dog is like a lab or something and can wait then just wait.
I just spoke with my groomer. He is only doing 1 dog at a time. I will drop him off and come 10 min before he is done so no crating. I am going tomorrow so hopefully all goes well. So far no cases here but who knows. He is a pure white Havanese
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Boarding facilities in my area are not taking dogs right now. We had scheduled our dogs to be boarded next week and the facility called to cancel. We have decided to go with a house/pet sitter instead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic