"There is no royal road to learning"

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

...except in Louisiana, where places such as Springfield Preparatory School can now sell you a high school diploma, without you having to supply any evidence of attainment, time spent learning or even attendance.

SOURCE = AP News
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

That’s because no one really cares about a high school diploma anymore…

https://fasttranscripts.com/?utm_source ... 4DdOnKHg3U

In America you can just write your own transcript and apply to college with that…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Republicans keeping America dumb for the sake of their party.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:19 am That’s because no one really cares about a high school diploma anymore…

In America you can just write your own transcript and apply to college with that…
It’s not true that nobody cares about high school diplomas. Universities I attended required an official transcript from the school directly. We couldn’t just make a fake one and give it to them. I’m sure the reputable Universities in Louisiana are the same.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:26 am Republicans keeping America dumb for the sake of their party.
Louisiana has always been bad about that. I know people who graduated from high school and did not know how to read.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have mixed feelings about this. While I really support education, as the mother of an adult who was not able to get his high school diploma or his GED, I'm dismayed that he can't enter vocational training at our CC and how many companies require a diploma or GED even for unskilled labor so I get why people would pay for a diploma that they didn't earn. I also think the awarding of high school diplomas to adults could (and maybe should) take into consideration work and life experience rather than just academics or employers should consider relevant work experience as equal to or even more important than a high school diploma or GED.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:40 am I have mixed feelings about this. While I really support education, as the mother of an adult who was not able to get his high school diploma or his GED, I'm dismayed that he can't enter vocational training at our CC and how many companies require a diploma or GED even for unskilled labor so I get why people would pay for a diploma that they didn't earn. I also think the awarding of high school diplomas to adults could (and maybe should) take into consideration work and life experience rather than just academics or employers should consider relevant work experience as equal to or even more important than a high school diploma or GED.

I’m thinking that is probably the demographic this is targeting. I just hope Louisiana doesn’t use this as a crutch so they don’t have to improve the school districts.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:18 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:40 am I have mixed feelings about this. While I really support education, as the mother of an adult who was not able to get his high school diploma or his GED, I'm dismayed that he can't enter vocational training at our CC and how many companies require a diploma or GED even for unskilled labor so I get why people would pay for a diploma that they didn't earn. I also think the awarding of high school diplomas to adults could (and maybe should) take into consideration work and life experience rather than just academics or employers should consider relevant work experience as equal to or even more important than a high school diploma or GED.

I’m thinking that is probably the demographic this is targeting. I just hope Louisiana doesn’t use this as a crutch so they don’t have to improve the school districts.
I agree about the targeted demographic.

I will add that my state, Virginia, has some really good programs to get young adults without a GED into trades and healthcare but they are few and far between. It's a good start. I just feel that a path for success should be offered to students who for one reason or another have not been able to finish high school, received their diploma, or obtained a GED. If no path is offered, you end up with a situation in the OP because why would you not?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:20 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:19 am That’s because no one really cares about a high school diploma anymore…

It’s not true that nobody cares about high school diplomas. Universities I attended required an official transcript from the school directly. We couldn’t just make a fake one and give it to them. I’m sure the reputable Universities in Louisiana are the same.
Pretty much all universities take these transcripts.

All reputable universities that accept homeschooled students take them, and I’m pretty sure all publicly funded universities have to accept homeschool students.

Harvard, MIT, NYU, Stanford… all of them.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

You can seriously print out your own transcripts for him, graduate him from your own personal high school, and apply to any community college out there that is publicly funded…

He can start at Community College next semester.
Locked Previous topicNext topic