"There is no royal road to learning"

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:35 am
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:26 am
SlimShady wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:19 am That’s because no one really cares about a high school diploma anymore…

https://fasttranscripts.com/?utm_source ... 4DdOnKHg3U

In America you can just write your own transcript and apply to college with that…
Yes. homeschoolers can do this. I used that site for my oldest. However, you still have to follow all regulations for proof for the colleges as I have done it with my oldest. I had my own transcript that I used to keep track of her courses and grades, but I also contacted her previous online schools for their transcripts so there were 2 online schools that sent in transcripts as well as her dual enrollment university.
For me anyways, SMC accepted these transcripts and then I took placement tests for English and math classes. You can take all the prerequisites for the harder classes there.
Applying now is a whole different kettle of fish than when we went to college back in the Dark Ages. LOL Everybody has a 4.5 GPA, leadership, volunteering, ECA's and the test scores. It is such a toss up about getting in..I'm in a college group on FB and kids with insane grades, etc were denied from schools that were not even Ivies. My own dd was denied by 3 of 8 schools she applied to and I think it is because she did dual enrollment over AP. AP gives you extra points on your GPA whereas DE does not. She had a 3.85 at graduation with 37 credit hours of college courses. She went into her freshman year as a sophomore credit wise. She will be a junior after spring semester even though it is her first year there. She's already taking courses in her chosen major and minor. I have to do it all over again in 2.5 years as the youngest is a sophomore in HS. I don't use that site anymore though as the youngest is enrolled in an online school that does their own transcripts. I didn't see the need to pay for the site anymore after she started this new school.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:25 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm
SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:53 pm

We can end the night here of course…

And you will still be expected to be accountable for your words , and show evidence of your slanderous claims, every time you make them in future…or otherwise be shown to be a liar.
We already talk about that. You don’t run shit when it comes to my accountability because I still think your attitude Black people is racist. I hope that changes in the future but that is my decision to make and it can’t be forced.

And okay. I think we should end for the night. We’ve given the group enough free entertainment for the day. This group would be dead if we got along. J/k 😂😂😂😂😂.

Have a good night. :-)
Here’s the thing though… this is not really about “your decisions” to believe someone is racist…you can of course believe anything you want…

But if you say “ That person is racist” and you have no evidence to back up those claims other than your feelings, they can sue you for slander and they will win. They are fully within their legal rights to hold you accountable for what you say. Companies too… if you slander a company and have no evidence to show, that company can sue you and will win.

Obviously that has no bearing on you and I in particular due to this conversation , but that is the reality of the country we live in. Your chosen words can have real consequences.

Opinion as a Defense to Defamation

It is essential to understand the difference between a fact and an opinion in the context of defamation. A fact is a piece of information that can be proven true or false through evidence.

For example, a statement such as “John Doe has a criminal record” can be proven true or false through official records. If the statement is false and causes harm to John Doe’s reputation, it could be considered defamatory.

On the other hand, a statement of opinion is a personal belief or viewpoint that cannot be proven true or false. Opinions are subjective and often reflect a person’s feelings or attitude toward a particular subject. For example, a statement such as “John Doe is a terrible person” is an opinion that cannot be proven or disproven.
https://www.minclaw.com/opinion-defense ... ry%20facts.

I’m not going down a rabbit hole about the definition or semantics. I’m not worried about it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:10 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:25 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:13 pm

I was just about to pop in from my MC hiatus just to say exactly this, lol.
Affirmative Action is a huge problem but fake transcripts are A-ok 👌🏽
Can’t make this shit up
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hey Flo! Hope you have been well.
Heyyyy!
Been well! Just busy 🙂
Hope you have been well too!
I have been busy but well. It’s good to see you on! I was wondering how you were doing. :-)
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:09 am
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 pm
SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:18 am

The reason I said it was only a tiny bit fraudulent, is because it isn’t actually lying… it’s just bullshit lol.

And I know, I know… upon first reading that may appear as though it doesn’t make sense… but it does.

Different states have different homeschool laws… most states have 0 influence on how parents have to teach their kids… If a homeschooling mom wants to say that her 10th grader watched peppa pig today so we’re going to count that as English class- the state has no ability to say “ No, that’s bullshit… that doesn’t count” they have to accept it.
If the kid spent his day skateboarding with their friends and the homeschooling parent wants to count that as physics class… so be it. They made a bagel today, so that counts as home economics.

In addition, in many states- no records have to be kept… so if a parent wants to say in 2023, yeah- my kid did all these classes over the last four years even though their day was spent doing nothing but lounging around watching peppa pig, skateboarding and making bagels, and I didn’t keep any records of this- the state has no ability to say that doesn’t count. Of course this is not true for all states, but it’s true for a lot of states.

So is it fraudulent? Not legally speaking, no… it’s fraudulent in the way of “how people feel about it”… as far as the state goes, it’s not fraud… it’s just bullshit lol.
I homeschooled from 2000-2010 and I noticed a changing of homeschooling laws mainly do to lobbying groups like HLSDA. HLSDA's argument was that taking a child out of the government system should mean taking the child out of government oversight. The majority of parents who homeschool do an amazing job and work tirelessly to give their child a good education. They have a rigorous curriculum, enroll their child in extra-curriculars and other activities, and make sure that their child has the socialization, academic skills, and life experiences that will enable them to thrive. The flip side is that some parents have removed their children from public education as a way to remove them from scrutiny and sometimes this has resulted in homeschooled kids being victimized, abused, and uneducated.

I feel for you, I really do. You are not the only homeschooler that wanted to pursue higher education but had not received an adequate education at home. There are so many paths that were available to you to receive the education and earn the "transcript" so I do not condone taking the lazy way out and gaming the system. If anything, I think it's shameful.

This is the example of what Della called "the dumbing down of America" and no one should take pleasure from this.

As far as affirmative action, as a woman attending US public higher education institutions, you benefitted from affirmative action AND you benefitted from the homeschooling loopholes. If feels as if you are okay with AA and "back doors" as long as it's not race based?
I don’t believe Affirmative Action is needed for women. Being accepted to Santa Monica College had literally zero to do with whether or not I had a uterus . They don’t care if you’re any gender at all…

I think the women of today have full control over their lives and there are no longer barriers keeping them out of math classes because of their gender.

I don’t think women have a harder time getting jobs…I don’t think women have a harder time being accepted to college…

Della called it “dumbing down” because she believes entire states full of people are dumb and the state she ended up being from leans blue so they must be smarter… she didn’t actually say that because she feels High School is the only way to attain an education that would be full enough to grasp college…she was under the impression that I did all this in Arkansas…so she insulted Arkansas… she just isn’t aware that I did all of this in Blue California . She calls other people dumb so that she can feel smarter, regardless of test scores, Honors Societies, Published Papers, Peer Reviews, Job Titles… basically anything that would actually prove intelligence isn’t considered… She only sees the colors red and blue.

Which is probably a reason I don’t talk the exact same as I used to when I was in college… every moment of those years was spent trying to prove I was intelligent to professors, other students, the world really … then once you do get all those accreditations and Honor Society acceptances, publish your first article, Receive great peer review feedback, get the jobs you want, and get all the accolades you wanted, you start realizing that you don’t have to try so hard to look smart to Internet personalities… you finally realize, hell- it doesn’t matter at all if these people *think* I’m smart.. I’ve got nothing to prove to them. So Della can go ahead and think I’m Dumb… it doesn’t matter in the slightest, and it doesn’t bother me.

As I said on the very first page… No one really cares about a high school diploma anymore… everything you do to prove intelligence and capability in the work force comes later.
I said that you benefitted from Affirmative Action, not that you needed it and I was talking about your education beyond SMC where you probably enjoyed your institutions of learning having a student body and teaching staff comprised of a fairly equal distribution of men and women. Hell, you probably were offered a "Women's Studies" class and your campus probably had clubs and associations that included women. The fact that you say it was not needed indicates that AA was affective for women and women benefitted. I just don't believe that we're there yet with education and employment when it comes to minority groups but at the same time, after a brief period of mourning, I've realized that universities and employers see the benefit and will continue ensuring diversity on their campuses and in their corporations even if not formally called AA as there are ways to recruit minority students and employees beyond just the application process.

I misquoted Della. What she actually wrote was "Republicans keeping America dumb for the sake of their party." and I agree that currently there is a concerning trend of anti-intellectualism within the Republican party. I'm not seeing the link between anti-intellectualism and selling of diplomas but I do see ties with some religious groups, organizations, and some private schools so the link is probably there but I'm just not seeing it 'cause I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet! Della's post was the third one on the thread, so well before you explained how to alter transcripts.

I think that there's no question you are intelligent and I'm sorry that you felt you had to prove your intelligence throughout your higher education and career. No one writes the same on social media as they do in academia, lol.

A diploma indicates that a person has obtained and retained knowledge. I think most people care about that even if they may disagree on the content. I think a high school diploma is just as important as other certifications demonstrating competence and knowledge.

As I've said from the beginning, I believe there should be an alternate path to training and success for those who are unable to obtain a high school diploma many of whom are like my son and have intellectual disabilities. I don't believe that path should be getting him and others into college per se but rather expanding programs that teach the trades and healthcare and other such skills to include those without a diploma or GED. I hope no one took that as devaluing a high school education as that was not my intent. I'll add, that I still find it shameful and disrespectful to those who do work and struggle to achieve basic learning when someone who is perfectly able devalues learning and considers the certification of that learning as just a piece of paper which holds no meaning. And getting back to the OP, I think it's shameful and predatory for these "private schools" to sell these certifications at $450 a pop to people who are desperate for what that piece of paper represents but are unable to achieve the learning that is required.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:49 pm
Della wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:23 pm
SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:44 pm

Honey… If you try to slander someone, the onus is most definitely on you to provide direct evidence of your claims.

If you can’t, you lied about what you tried to slander them with.

So yeah… you’re going to be expected to be accountable for what you say… PARTICULARLY when it involves slandering me…
Sugar, you are not being slandered. You are coming across as a true Arkansas stereotype.
Ah… another player enters the ring.. this time insulting large swaths of people to try and get at me…

So here we go… your turn. Are you going to be able to provide any evidence of what *I* have said that is racist? Or did you just want to get a jab in?
You're oblivious and it shows.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:29 am
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:24 pm

I homeschooled from 2000-2010 and I noticed a changing of homeschooling laws mainly do to lobbying groups like HLSDA. HLSDA's argument was that taking a child out of the government system should mean taking the child out of government oversight. The majority of parents who homeschool do an amazing job and work tirelessly to give their child a good education. They have a rigorous curriculum, enroll their child in extra-curriculars and other activities, and make sure that their child has the socialization, academic skills, and life experiences that will enable them to thrive. The flip side is that some parents have removed their children from public education as a way to remove them from scrutiny and sometimes this has resulted in homeschooled kids being victimized, abused, and uneducated.

I feel for you, I really do. You are not the only homeschooler that wanted to pursue higher education but had not received an adequate education at home. There are so many paths that were available to you to receive the education and earn the "transcript" so I do not condone taking the lazy way out and gaming the system. If anything, I think it's shameful.

This is the example of what Della called "the dumbing down of America" and no one should take pleasure from this.

As far as affirmative action, as a woman attending US public higher education institutions, you benefitted from affirmative action AND you benefitted from the homeschooling loopholes. If feels as if you are okay with AA and "back doors" as long as it's not race based?
I don’t believe Affirmative Action is needed for women. Being accepted to Santa Monica College had literally zero to do with whether or not I had a uterus . They don’t care if you’re any gender at all…

I think the women of today have full control over their lives and there are no longer barriers keeping them out of math classes because of their gender.

I don’t think women have a harder time getting jobs…I don’t think women have a harder time being accepted to college…

Della called it “dumbing down” because she believes entire states full of people are dumb and the state she ended up being from leans blue so they must be smarter… she didn’t actually say that because she feels High School is the only way to attain an education that would be full enough to grasp college…she was under the impression that I did all this in Arkansas…so she insulted Arkansas… she just isn’t aware that I did all of this in Blue California . She calls other people dumb so that she can feel smarter, regardless of test scores, Honors Societies, Published Papers, Peer Reviews, Job Titles… basically anything that would actually prove intelligence isn’t considered… She only sees the colors red and blue.

Which is probably a reason I don’t talk the exact same as I used to when I was in college… every moment of those years was spent trying to prove I was intelligent to professors, other students, the world really … then once you do get all those accreditations and Honor Society acceptances, publish your first article, Receive great peer review feedback, get the jobs you want, and get all the accolades you wanted, you start realizing that you don’t have to try so hard to look smart to Internet personalities… you finally realize, hell- it doesn’t matter at all if these people *think* I’m smart.. I’ve got nothing to prove to them. So Della can go ahead and think I’m Dumb… it doesn’t matter in the slightest, and it doesn’t bother me.

As I said on the very first page… No one really cares about a high school diploma anymore… everything you do to prove intelligence and capability in the work force comes later.
I said that you benefitted from Affirmative Action, not that you needed it and I was talking about your education beyond SMC where you probably enjoyed your institutions of learning having a student body and teaching staff comprised of a fairly equal distribution of men and women. Hell, you probably were offered a "Women's Studies" class and your campus probably had clubs and associations that included women. The fact that you say it was not needed indicates that AA was affective for women and women benefitted. I just don't believe that we're there yet with education and employment when it comes to minority groups but at the same time, after a brief period of mourning, I've realized that universities and employers see the benefit and will continue ensuring diversity on their campuses and in their corporations even if not formally called AA as there are ways to recruit minority students and employees beyond just the application process.

I misquoted Della. What she actually wrote was "Republicans keeping America dumb for the sake of their party." and I agree that currently there is a concerning trend of anti-intellectualism within the Republican party. I'm not seeing the link between anti-intellectualism and selling of diplomas but I do see ties with some religious groups, organizations, and some private schools so the link is probably there but I'm just not seeing it 'cause I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet! Della's post was the third one on the thread, so well before you explained how to alter transcripts.

I think that there's no question you are intelligent and I'm sorry that you felt you had to prove your intelligence throughout your higher education and career. No one writes the same on social media as they do in academia, lol.

A diploma indicates that a person has obtained and retained knowledge. I think most people care about that even if they may disagree on the content. I think a high school diploma is just as important as other certifications demonstrating competence and knowledge.

As I've said from the beginning, I believe there should be an alternate path to training and success for those who are unable to obtain a high school diploma many of whom are like my son and have intellectual disabilities. I don't believe that path should be getting him and others into college per se but rather expanding programs that teach the trades and healthcare and other such skills to include those without a diploma or GED. I hope no one took that as devaluing a high school education as that was not my intent. I'll add, that I still find it shameful and disrespectful to those who do work and struggle to achieve basic learning when someone who is perfectly able devalues learning and considers the certification of that learning as just a piece of paper which holds no meaning. And getting back to the OP, I think it's shameful and predatory for these "private schools" to sell these certifications at $450 a pop to people who are desperate for what that piece of paper represents but are unable to achieve the learning that is required.
I didn’t take any women’s studies classes, I refused to join any “women only clubs” because I found them sexist.

When I say “ I believe everyone is equal “ I mean women too. Women are fully equal to men, I see no reason to separate genders on an educational level.

If it’s a social group to make friends, then fine, have male and female groups…but if it’s an academically advancing group I think it is flat out wrong to keep someone out based on their gender… it was wrong in 1923 and it’s wrong in 2023.

If I’m in an academic setting I would never want someone to refer to me as a great female anthropologist. I would only want to be called a great anthropologist.

And it’s not upsetting to anyone over 40 who took this route if you think it’s shameful that they didn’t value an education as a teenager. It’s fine if you feel that way, but it’s not really going matter to anyone who did take this route, it’s just a way you feel.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:30 am
SlimShady wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:49 pm
Della wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:23 pm

Sugar, you are not being slandered. You are coming across as a true Arkansas stereotype.
Ah… another player enters the ring.. this time insulting large swaths of people to try and get at me…

So here we go… your turn. Are you going to be able to provide any evidence of what *I* have said that is racist? Or did you just want to get a jab in?
You're oblivious and it shows.
You bring such depth to these conversations… We’re lucky to have your input.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm

We already talk about that. You don’t run shit when it comes to my accountability because I still think your attitude Black people is racist. I hope that changes in the future but that is my decision to make and it can’t be forced.

And okay. I think we should end for the night. We’ve given the group enough free entertainment for the day. This group would be dead if we got along. J/k 😂😂😂😂😂.

Have a good night. :-)
Here’s the thing though… this is not really about “your decisions” to believe someone is racist…you can of course believe anything you want…

But if you say “ That person is racist” and you have no evidence to back up those claims other than your feelings, they can sue you for slander and they will win. They are fully within their legal rights to hold you accountable for what you say. Companies too… if you slander a company and have no evidence to show, that company can sue you and will win.

Obviously that has no bearing on you and I in particular due to this conversation , but that is the reality of the country we live in. Your chosen words can have real consequences.

It is essential to understand the difference between a fact and an opinion in the context of defamation. A fact is a piece of information that can be proven true or false through evidence.

For example, a statement such as “John Doe has a criminal record” can be proven true or false through official records. If the statement is false and causes harm to John Doe’s reputation, it could be considered defamatory.

On the other hand, a statement of opinion is a personal belief or viewpoint that cannot be proven true or false. Opinions are subjective and often reflect a person’s feelings or attitude toward a particular subject. For example, a statement such as “John Doe is a terrible person” is an opinion that cannot be proven or disproven.

I’m not going down a rabbit hole about the definition or semantics. I’m not worried about it.
Why do you keep saying something is a rabbit hole if more than two sentences are said on the subject?

Saying “That person is racist , and they’ve said racist things to me” would fall under the “If the statement is false and causes harm to John Doe’s reputation, it could be considered defamatory.” part of what you’ve quoted…

You didn’t say your opinion, you attempted to state a fact that could damage someone’s reputation. If it got to court, the first question to you would be “What did they say to you that was racist”? If you’re unable to provide an answer, then you’ve made a false and defamatory statement about them.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:46 am
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:29 am

I didn’t take any women’s studies classes, I refused to join any “women only clubs” because I found them sexist.

When I say “ I believe everyone is equal “ I mean women too. Women are fully equal to men, I see no reason to separate genders on an educational level.

If it’s a social group to make friends, then fine, have male and female groups…but if it’s an academically advancing group I think it is flat out wrong to keep someone out based on their gender… it was wrong in 1923 and it’s wrong in 2023.

If I’m in an academic setting I would never want someone to refer to me as a great female anthropologist. I would only want to be called a great anthropologist.

And it’s not upsetting to anyone over 40 who took this route if you think it’s shameful that they didn’t value an education as a teenager. It’s fine if you feel that way, but it’s not really going matter to anyone who did take this route, it’s just a way you feel.
Affirmative Action paved the road for you and countless other women to attend universities and receive an equal education to men. Affirmative Action has meant that those who belong to minority groups are able to attend universities and receive an equal education to the majority population. Affirmative Action has benefitted women (particularly white women) to such a degree that many don't even realize the inequity that existed prior. If we do realize the benefit but think it shouldn't be applied to racial minority groups then either we believe that those groups have received the equality that we have or they are underserving of that equality.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:18 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am

Why do you keep saying something is a rabbit hole if more than two sentences are said on the subject?

Saying “That person is racist , and they’ve said racist things to me” would fall under the “If the statement is false and causes harm to John Doe’s reputation, it could be considered defamatory.” part of what you’ve quoted…

You didn’t say your opinion, you attempted to state a fact that could damage someone’s reputation. If it got to court, the first question to you would be “What did they say to you that was racist”? If you’re unable to provide an answer, then you’ve made a false and defamatory statement about them.
I’m not doing this. Let it go.
Locked Previous topicNext topic