How far should we go with this?

YoYiggy
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I agree that the packaging for the peanut one shouldn't have been exactly like the regular/original one. I think the packaging for peanut Chips Ahoy products should be a color they don't have already.

This happened local to me. My baby cousin knew this girl. It's very tragic. I can't imagine what that family is going through.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

It would be appropriate for federal legislation to require labeling of products that have peanuts that is big, bold and hard to miss.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:04 pm We've already gone too far, in my opinion.

It is the job of the parents and the child with the allergy to make sure that food is safe for the child to eat. It's no one else's job, and I'm sick and tired of parents blaming everyone/everything else except themselves if their child has a reaction.
I agree 100%.

Parents don't teach responsibility anymore, too much work and besides, it might hurt their kid's feelings. No need to teach your kid, just rant and rave and call a lawyer to sue someone.

What's next, some 16 year old kills themselves in a car accident and the parents think we should ban cars?

Parents, do your job and teach your kids.
Kids, listen. It just might save your life.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The thing is it wasn't a little logo it's not huge but it clearly says reeces. My 8 year old with food allergies knows not to go on package color alone I can't imagine having a 15 year old with a life threatening allergy not knowing.
https://express.google.com/product/521 ... AoddHkPVQ/
It's so tragic but it's not chips ahoys fault.
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

anon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm
Foreverme123 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm If you have a child who's deathly allergic to something, you probably shouldn't have it in your home at all.
She was at a party and the whole front was ripped open and underneath so only the cookies were showing. I guess the girl thought it looked like the safe cookies they have at home but it wasn't.
That's an even bigger reason for the mom to be watching her child or have taught them better than assuming anything about food when you can literally DIE if you make a mistake.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wanted to add: A child with allergies should always have an epi pen on them. I think she probably could have survived if she was treated right away.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm
Reedusstalker wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm I can't imagine the pain that mother feels. Obviously, she was wants peanut plant to become extinct if possible, so much anger, she likely cannot think straight.

But of course, the rest of the world goes on, and NO, we shouldn't take peanut products off the cookie shelf or out of the chips ahoy package.
This. Im sorry she lost her daughter. I can't even imagine. I have to wonder why the child didnt check the package they had come from. Her demands are coming from anger which is never good. And i dont think they should be met. Its not the cookie companies fault this happen.
I read this she was 16 and they looked identical to the ones they had already verified were safe for her. The top was opened so she didn't see that there was a small symbol that had reeses on it. She just saw they were chips ahoy. She thought she was being safe. The family is not blaming Chips ahoy either they are simply asking if they can change the color of the pkging to prevent this accident from every happening again.
That's not unreasonable although I'd think she could taste the peanut. She should also have asked the host or the host should have been made aware of her severe allergies. If I know someone is coming over with severe allergies I'm not even going to have peanuts around or peanut products.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I know about this because of my work in the food allergy community. I can see how she made the mistake. The packages were both the red ones and very similar and it was a newer cookie. It was a casual innocent mistake that cost a young girl her life. So sad. I think they need to change the packaging to be very different. That should be enough
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can understand that in her pain she’s looking for someone to blame. But ultimately, people with allergies need to learn to navigate in real life. This is one of the reasons why I’m against bans in schools. Sure, it can protect allergy sufferers, but it also gives them a false sense of security. Bottom line, this was a terrible tragedy, but Nabisco doesn’t have to bend over backwards to protect allergy sufferers. If the bag had an allergy warning, which it probably has, then that’s enough.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Lolabearlow
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WickedPissah wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm Can you imagine people going to jail for smuggling peanut butter to the United States?
And I would be a felon, lol.

"What are it in for?"
"Peanut smuggling, you?"
"Murder."

Lol
Locked Previous topicNext topic