Got my dna results and I’m.....

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Exactly what I thought.

Though I did expect to see more Native American than what it shows.

Anyone else do 23 and me or Ancestry and got surprisingly results back?
Attachments
04CED9EB-B958-47BF-A7D1-401E34834537.png
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mine weren't really a surprise, they just confirmed things we already knew. Everyone kind of knew that my dad's grandmother was half Korean, but they had falsified documents when she was born to say she was completely Japanese so we didn't have the "proof" until now.
My husband's were very interesting because he knows very little about his mom. We found out that he has some native American ancestry and ancestry from India, and he definitely didn't get either from his dad's side. We found out where the native part came from after meeting one of his relatives, but they didn't know anything about the Indian part so that's still a mystery.
My sister got it for her kids and that was very interesting because they are adopted. Their biological mother told my sister that both of their dad's were Japanese, but one came back half Korean and the other came back half Chinese (bio mom later told my sister that he was hmong after she asked her about the results).
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I did 23 and me about 2 years ago. It changes frequently when more DNA results are added from other people and gets more accurate. In about a year they'll be able to tell you down to the village where your ancestors are from.
Currently mine has it all the way back about 60k years to my ancestors in Northern Africa.

Its pretty cool, did you get the health screening too?

I was not at all surprised by mine.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I did one through Ancestry; was very surprised. I thought I was black/Native with a bit of European.. turns out I'm European/Black with a hint of Native. I'm thinking of doing Living DNA because it says it breaks the DNA down even more.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I haven't but my full-blooded sister did. No surprises. 100% European. Mostly western European with a little eastern European. But full European none the less.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

Wait I didn't word that right....
I can't imagine not knowing what my exact DNA/Ancestry would be. What person doesn't know this important information about their own famly? :lol:
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 pm No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

I can't imagine not knowing what my exact DNA/Ancestry would be. What person doesn't know this important information about their own famly? :lol:
Its reaaly not that important. Not to mention you basically gave these companies carte blanche to.use and sell your DNA however they want. My SIL bought a bunch for the family on black friday. They got thrown in the trash
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:33 am I did one through Ancestry; was very surprised. I thought I was black/Native with a bit of European.. turns out I'm European/Black with a hint of Native. I'm thinking of doing Living DNA because it says it breaks the DNA down even more.
That is what a lot of people of color are finding, due to the amount of sexual abuse that was involved in the slave trade. People were labeled on paper as fully black when they really had white fathers. It also can have to do with the specific genes that you inherit, your parent could have a high amount of native American ancestry, but you might have only inherited a small portion of it genetically.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I haven't but both my parents have. It didn't line up with what we were told from family history work and documents. We think now that our great great something grandfather changed his name and assumed a part of different family. It's the only thing that makes sense. I doubt we will ever know for sure
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:36 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 pm No, we knew what our results would be and they came back exactly that

Its reaaly not that important. Not to mention you basically gave these companies carte blanche to.use and sell your DNA however they want. My SIL bought a bunch for the family on black friday. They got thrown in the trash
Wow, you could have given those to someone who wanted them instead of wasting hundreds of your sils dollars like that...
Locked Previous topicNext topic