Stop comparing me to my neighbors

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:02 pm Our house is mainly gas and 60 therms a month sounds crazy to me.
🤷🏼‍♀️ I have 7 people eating, showering and washing clothes. We don’t use the heat much so it’s mostly normal every day living. I had them out to check for leaks and they said everything is good
I have five kids, we also have seven people. We use like 15 a month. It might not just be leaks.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I use more therms than you and your neighbors combined but I do have a huge multiple story house also.
I think it also depends on the area where you live temp wise
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The electric company is always sending me graphs to show that my 1200 square foot home uses more electricity that those around me with larger homes. Thing is, my neighborhood is comprised of older homes and I cannot think of a single one that is substantially bigger than mine. I have had my home insulated and I've done a most of the things they suggest to make it more efficient. I think they are wrong as well. Although I will admit that in the summer, I want the house to be COLD. I do not want to sweat. That is probably why my usage is higher in the summer but still.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My electric company does that too and I’m always on the high end. I don’t pay it much attention. There’s not much we can do differently.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We get one of those, too. We are always way over the neighbors. We have relatively new appliances and our house isn't that old. So IDK what they want from me.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I'd be glad for the information. It might make me consider ways that I could cut back. I'm not sure how old the windows are in your home. But when we replaced ours, we noticed a big drop in our heating costs.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You do seem to have a lot of gas appliances. Even when we did have gas at our previous houses, it was only our furnace and water heater. Never the stove or dryer. And right now we have electric everything. We don't even have gas running to our house.

I would be willing to bet a lot of your neighbors have electric stoves and dryers and that would explain the difference.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

caustib wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 pm We get one of those, too. We are always way over the neighbors. We have relatively new appliances and our house isn't that old. So IDK what they want from me.
Our house is old in an older neighborhood so I imagine most houses have similar insulation and such. We hardly run the heat Because it’s not needed, we use the ac much more, but our dryer and stove are less than 8 years old the water heater is probably almost 14 years old and Outside the house but it’s pretty well insulated I think we will need to replace it soon though.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msgme wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:49 pm It seems I use triple the amount of electricity than my neighbors. I guess they all sit around with candles
My electric report says the same. So do my in laws and my brother inlaw and they both live a few houses down. My parents are about 5 minutes away and they get the same thing. If all my neighbors are using more than the average amount of energy isn't it more likely that it's actually the average amount? LOL Also our energy bill immediately dropped by about $100 a month after they installed the smart meter which just makes me think they were fudging the numbers before.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

According to our electric company we use three times the amount of electricity as everyone else. I don't understand how.
Locked Previous topicNext topic