After more than $18,000 I am finally not a US citizen

Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm I am so excited to no longer be part of such a fucked up place. No one should have to pay that much to give up citizenship, especially when they never had the choice in being a citizen there in the first place.

That money doesn't even count all the taxes I paid that I never benefited from.
Good one less entitled snowflake assuming they should always benefit from paying taxes that they rightfully owed
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:25 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm I am so excited to no longer be part of such a fucked up place. No one should have to pay that much to give up citizenship, especially when they never had the choice in being a citizen there in the first place.

Good one less entitled snowflake assuming they should always benefit from paying taxes that they rightfully owed
I should have never owed them. And yes you should benefit from the taxes you pay.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

I should have never owed them. And yes you should benefit from the taxes you pay.
Thats not what the laws states, sucks for you, haha

The United States imposes taxes on its citizens for income earned anywhere in the world. If you are a dual citizen living abroad, you owe taxes both to the United States and to the country where the income was earned.
Boom!!!
Bye-Bye Loser
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:12 pm
AllofFive19 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm Why does it cost so much? According to the US Embassy and Consulate it's steep ($2,350), but nowhere near $18,000.
I was denied multiple times.
Why did they deny you?
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Bully for you!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AllofFive19 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:54 pm
AllofFive19 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm Why does it cost so much? According to the US Embassy and Consulate it's steep ($2,350), but nowhere near $18,000.
Why did they deny you?
They never even gave a reason. They just did.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:14 pm Not OP and I haven't renounced my citizenship but there can be tons of hidden costs; taxes, etc. The $2,350 is just the fee for filing the form.
What she said. It 's like people not understanding why it cost so much to become a US Citizen, only the filing fee is posted or public knowledge. There are so many fees added on to both processes that is not affordable. Take in account that the applicant usually has to apply more than once to terminate or gain US Citizenship.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

AllofFive19 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:54 pm
Why did they deny you?
I'm not the op and I've never given up citizenship but it's common for them to deny people the first few times. Especially if the person makes above a certain amount and has to pay the US taxes.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:40 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:36 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:29 pm

My parents regret ever applying for my citizenship. Other places being fucked up doesn't mean the US isn't fucked up too.
You are entitled to your opinion. I wouldn’t want to be a dual citizen or pay taxes to a country I didn’t live in or like, either. But I think you are being a tad dramatic. Tell is what country you live in that isn’t fucked up, because I doubt it’s as great and the US is as terrible in comparison as you think!
I am in Australia.
Everywhere is somewhat fucked up. That doesn't take away from the fact that the US is the only place that charges outrageously to get rid of citizenship and it isn't even a guarantee. I applied multiple times. I've never even been there and I've had to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars.
If your biggest complaint is that it’s mildly expensive to renounce your citizenship, then you are 100% melodramatic. Lol
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Why?

Because you don’t think you should have?

Did your parents not do some research or something? Why do you think you’d be entitled to not paying taxes?
Locked Previous topicNext topic