Helping family

RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My brother, his wife and their 2 sons need a place to stay for 2 weeks. We have more than enough room to keep them for 2 weeks. They will stay upstairs so they won't be in our living space. The family room even has a wet bar, fridge and microwave in it and they can use the front door which leads directly to the staircase so I'm basically saying its possible for them to stay here without them running into my SO. They are both starting new jobs and the kids will be starting school and daycare as soon as they get here. They really only need a place to sleep and shower because they will leave at 5am every morning and won't likely return until 7pm because their commute each morning will be a little over 2 hours. My SO is not on board with them staying that long. I want to help them because that is what we do in our family. They would help us if the tables were turned. My SO grew up different so he doesn't understand why helping family is so important to me. What would you do in this situation?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If I was sure it wouldn't turn into longer than two weeks, and they wouldn't damage anything, I'd take them in.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 am If I was sure it wouldn't turn into longer than two weeks, and they wouldn't damage anything, I'd take them in.
They are already looking for a house to rent and I'm pretty sure they do not want to do that commute longer than they have to.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If both you and your dh isn't on board, you should not let them stay
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am
Smarties wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 am If I was sure it wouldn't turn into longer than two weeks, and they wouldn't damage anything, I'd take them in.
They are already looking for a house to rent and I'm pretty sure they do not want to do that commute longer than they have to.

If they are looking, it sounds like 2 weeks isn't a hard date range. That would make me uneasy about the situation.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Idk...I know I would take family in in a heartbeat, but I know my DH would be fine with it. If your SO isn’t on board with it, that may cause problems even if it is for a short time.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

leadfoot40 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 am If both you and your dh isn't on board, you should not let them stay
I can't see myself telling them no
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 am
RealisticBeauty wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am

If they are looking, it sounds like 2 weeks isn't a hard date range. That would make me uneasy about the situation.
They do have the money to get a place now but they wanted to see what their first paychecks would look like before they commit to a place. They want to make sure they choose a house that they can afford.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would be letting them stay and SO would have to get over it.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommy_jules wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 am Idk...I know I would take family in in a heartbeat, but I know my DH would be fine with it. If your SO isn’t on board with it, that may cause problems even if it is for a short time.
It will cause problems for sure but I think I would rather deal with him being upset over telling my brother no.
Locked Previous topicNext topic