My son's English teacher just does not get it

Deleted User 1344

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:01 pm
Ledina60 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Pretending this is real, school does not come first to you. Your priorities are warped.
I agree.
It’s unfortunate that too many kids feel that sports are so important because their parents encourage it.
If there is that much time devoted to practice, training , i would just say “ no”. All that time should be devoted to school work.
Education is so much more important .

I think it's an ego thing for parents who push sports so hard.
I think so too.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Excellent! Well said!👏
Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:05 pm you should also keep in mind that no college is going to let him get away with what you are trying to pull off. So if he wants to play college ball, he'll have to do the college school work. That will include papers, reports, testing, along with his workouts, practices & games.

Also remember that only a very very very very few "star" high school/college athletes make it to the pros. The odds are strongly against him making football a career. Even more reason why you should be encouraging him to do his school work instead of trying to bully teachers into letting him be stupid for the rest of his life.

colleges & specifically college coaches aren't going to allow mommy to come up and say that her special boy can't do his school work. By the time he gets to college, they expect him to know how to manage his time & to know how to balance his school work with his sports program.

You aren't thinking big picture, you are thinking instant fix that does everyone a huge disservice.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 am My son started his junior year last week. He plays football and basketball. Since middle school he hasnt had to do homework during season. Every other teacher gets it. I know I will get bad mouthed for this. During season he gets no lower then an 80% on tests and he also never does homework.

He is a star player. I know he and his team gets special treatment.

Well this years English teacher will not budge. She isn't what you earn in her class is what you get.

On Friday she wanted a paper wriiten about what you wanted to accomplish in your junior year.

My son didnt do it of course. My son called me Friday saying he was getting a 0 unless he hands it in Monday. I emailed the teacher and told her Id be calling a meeting.

Last night I had a meeting with the teacher the principal and my son. She will not budge and the principal said he can't make her. She was a little snobby her last words were to my son was Im sorry your other teachers are failing you but I am.

For him to get a passing grade on this assignment he not only needs to do the first assignment but he also needs to write about what he likes besides sports

We started the paper last night. Instead of doing his work out this moring he needs to write this paper.

She is a very lived teacher. But she is against athletes .
By this logic, a student who plays football in the fall, shoots rifle in the winter, and runs track in the spring should never have to complete any assignments at all.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:07 pm Excellent! Well said!👏
Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:05 pm you should also keep in mind that no college is going to let him get away with what you are trying to pull off. So if he wants to play college ball, he'll have to do the college school work. That will include papers, reports, testing, along with his workouts, practices & games.

Also remember that only a very very very very few "star" high school/college athletes make it to the pros. The odds are strongly against him making football a career. Even more reason why you should be encouraging him to do his school work instead of trying to bully teachers into letting him be stupid for the rest of his life.

colleges & specifically college coaches aren't going to allow mommy to come up and say that her special boy can't do his school work. By the time he gets to college, they expect him to know how to manage his time & to know how to balance his school work with his sports program.

You aren't thinking big picture, you are thinking instant fix that does everyone a huge disservice.
My son was scouted his sophomore year & was receiving interest from coaches before his injury. The injury was so devastating that there was no hope of him ever hitting a field again. His football dreams literally ended the second he hit that divot.

Luckily he had backup interests & was able to turn that into still being a part of the football program. He is/was a statistics nut. Mostly sports statistics, but he was one of the statistics class teachers favorite students because he took his love of the sport & used it to excel in her class. He started taking broadcasting classes & was able to become a videographer for the college team that scouted him. He also handled game stats for the coaching staff.

NONE of that would have been possible if he had blown off school work to only focus on football.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You aren't thinking big picture, you are thinking instant fix that does everyone a huge disservice. If your son is that big of a "star" athlete, he would already be being scouted by colleges. The scouts are going to look at his grades, talk to his teachers & gauge his work ethic. That goes well beyond his performance on the field. Colleges also look for community service. College players have community service responsibilities.
High school is not a realistic comparison to college.
A kid does not need to go pro. They could get a full or partial sport's scholarship. Most college students aren't in class for seven or eight hours a day five days a week.
I believe in good time management and putting your school work first. I also don't think it is realistic for a kid who plays sports to skip out on all homework.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm

You aren't thinking big picture, you are thinking instant fix that does everyone a huge disservice. If your son is that big of a "star" athlete, he would already be being scouted by colleges. The scouts are going to look at his grades, talk to his teachers & gauge his work ethic. That goes well beyond his performance on the field. Colleges also look for community service. College players have community service responsibilities.
A kid does not need to go pro. They could get a full or partial sport's scholarship. Most college students aren't in class for seven or eight hours a day five days a week.
I believe in good time management and putting your school work first. I also don't think it is realistic for a kid who plays sports to skip out on all homework.
For an athlete looking to play college sports, high school is preparation for college. It's that in general for all students, but especially for athletes. No one says her kid "has" to go pro, but from how she's talking about him, that looks to be the expectation. Or at the very least, an expectation that he will be a college player. To get a scholarship in any form requires a certain gpa range. Having teachers let students not do the work just to focus on sports does NO ONE any good. No college is going to play that game with her or her son.

Out of curiosity, how many college scouts have you dealt with, spoken to, & been told the expectations of college athletes by ? How many top level college coaches have you sat down with and talked to?
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm

For an athlete looking to play college sports, high school is preparation for college. It's that in general for all students, but especially for athletes. No one says her kid "has" to go pro, but from how she's talking about him, that looks to be the expectation. Or at the very least, an expectation that he will be a college player. To get a scholarship in any form requires a certain gpa range. Having teachers let students not do the work just to focus on sports does NO ONE any good. No college is going to play that game with her or her son.

Out of curiosity, how many college scouts have you dealt with, spoken to, & been told the expectations of college athletes by ? How many top level college coaches have you sat down with and talked to?
Quite a few actually. I was being scouted for soccer but had to quit. I have several friends who are scouters. They expect a certain GPA and SAT and ACT score before being accepted. Ince they are in college the student is expect a certain GPA, but here is the kicker. Very few college students are spending as much time in a class room as a high schooler. Many professors dont give "busy work" and give out an itinerary on what the class will be like. Time management is different in college. It is far more flexible. I said in another comment I went to college full time while working full time and had more down time then some kids in high school with activities. Holy run on sentence.
Anonymous 17

Unread post

His only job right now is to be a student.
To graduate from high school, he must meet the requirements outlined for him.
If you want to see why it's important that he does the work that's required of him in English class, take a glance at this statement that you wrote.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 am

Last night I had a meeting with the teacher the principal and my son.
Anonymous 17

Unread post

He's a JUNIOR in high school. What's with this "we" stuff?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 am My son started his junior year last week. He plays football and basketball. Since middle school he hasnt had to do homework during season. Every other teacher gets it. I know I will get bad mouthed for this. During season he gets no lower then an 80% on tests and he also never does homework.

He is a star player. I know he and his team gets special treatment.

Well this years English teacher will not budge. She isn't what you earn in her class is what you get.

On Friday she wanted a paper wriiten about what you wanted to accomplish in your junior year.

My son didnt do it of course. My son called me Friday saying he was getting a 0 unless he hands it in Monday. I emailed the teacher and told her Id be calling a meeting.

Last night I had a meeting with the teacher the principal and my son. She will not budge and the principal said he can't make her. She was a little snobby her last words were to my son was Im sorry your other teachers are failing you but I am.

For him to get a passing grade on this assignment he not only needs to do the first assignment but he also needs to write about what he likes besides sports

We started the paper last night. Instead of doing his work out this moring he needs to write this paper.

She is a very lived teacher. But she is against athletes .
Anonymous 14

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm
Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Quite a few actually. I was being scouted for soccer but had to quit. I have several friends who are scouters. They expect a certain GPA and SAT and ACT score before being accepted. Ince they are in college the student is expect a certain GPA, but here is the kicker. Very few college students are spending as much time in a class room as a high schooler. Many professors dont give "busy work" and give out an itinerary on what the class will be like. Time management is different in college. It is far more flexible. I said in another comment I went to college full time while working full time and had more down time then some kids in high school with activities. Holy run on sentence.
High school is still the "training ground" for college. It's about learning time management. OP is doing nothing to help foster that time management education. Even if his college courses are fewer & less time in class, none of that changes what is being expected of him in high school. If her son doesn't do the work, doesn't get the education, how is he going to do on the SAT & ACT?

he shouldn't receive special treatment from teachers because he's an athlete. No one should.
Locked Previous topicNext topic