Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:19 pm

They stay up late or wake up early. It really is not hard

That plan means they're not getting the sleep that their bodies require at that age.
It is a trade off. When you have more going on sometimes you dont sleep as much. That is a reality of life
I went college full time and worked full time and got more rest than that. It is not realistic or healthy for a minor.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm
Inmybizz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 am Oh well.. This little bump in his life will build characters.. He will survive and be a better person and player.
It's just pissing him off. His trainer is gonna be mad that he missed his run this morning.
Good.. Learning how to deal with emotions and carrying on is a life skill that is needed.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm
Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am My son is a great athlete
But school work comes first. Period.
School comes 1st to us too. It's just he has practice 5 days a week. And in weekends they do drills and he has trainer.

Pretending this is real, school does not come first to you. Your priorities are warped.
I agree.
It’s unfortunate that too many kids feel that sports are so important because their parents encourage it.
If there is that much time devoted to practice, training , i would just say “ no”. All that time should be devoted to school work.
Education is so much more important .
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have nothing of value to add but just wanted to say there is an episode of The Golden Girls like this, lol. Carry on.
Anonymous 15

Unread post

But they are super at it because she is super special and home schools!

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 am Your kids do karate. That’s not remotely the same.
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am Oh brother..
Every athlete parent I know ( and I know a ton of them as I have athletes myself) knows that academics is first. Period. End of story. If you don't do the work- you don't play. Period. It has been that way since I was a kid in the "Dark Ages"..or rather the 80's/90's. Athletes are not anything super special and need to do the work to pass. At least it was a new trolling subject.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am My son is a great athlete
But school work comes first. Period.
School comes 1st to us too. It's just he has practice 5 days a week. And in weekends they do drills and he has trainer.
Then he needs better time management or to cut back. Sports are extra not the most important thing, if he can’t do all the work that the other kids are expected to complete plus play sports. Then my son wouldn’t play sports.
That’s how I handle it, sports are extra, school and other obligations are first. If he can’t do it, then sports will go.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm
Inmybizz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 am Oh well.. This little bump in his life will build characters.. He will survive and be a better person and player.
It's just pissing him off. His trainer is gonna be mad that he missed his run this morning.
Then he makes his run up another time on his own. Simple. Elite athletes need to use every ounce of time they have. Homework in a car, homework on a bus, homework waiting for practise to begin. They are not at practise 6 hours each and every school night.

How long did your son have to write the paper? Was it over the weekend, one day, a week?
Anonymous 16

Unread post

So your son is the one kid in school that should not have to do school work? He is the one child that is above homework, and classwork?

If you have allowed your son to believe he is so special that the rules don't apply to him, then you have failed.

He is playing football, nothing more, nothing less, he is playing football.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Pretending this is real, school does not come first to you. Your priorities are warped.
I agree.
It’s unfortunate that too many kids feel that sports are so important because their parents encourage it.
If there is that much time devoted to practice, training , i would just say “ no”. All that time should be devoted to school work.
Education is so much more important .

I think it's an ego thing for parents who push sports so hard.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

you should also keep in mind that no college is going to let him get away with what you are trying to pull off. So if he wants to play college ball, he'll have to do the college school work. That will include papers, reports, testing, along with his workouts, practices & games.

Also remember that only a very very very very few "star" high school/college athletes make it to the pros. The odds are strongly against him making football a career. Even more reason why you should be encouraging him to do his school work instead of trying to bully teachers into letting him be stupid for the rest of his life.

colleges & specifically college coaches aren't going to allow mommy to come up and say that her special boy can't do his school work. By the time he gets to college, they expect him to know how to manage his time & to know how to balance his school work with his sports program.

You aren't thinking big picture, you are thinking instant fix that does everyone a huge disservice. If your son is that big of a "star" athlete, he would already be being scouted by colleges. The scouts are going to look at his grades, talk to his teachers & gauge his work ethic. That goes well beyond his performance on the field. Colleges also look for community service. College players have community service responsibilities.
Locked Previous topicNext topic