My son's English teacher just does not get it

Anonymous 6

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm
Anonymous 10 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 am
Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:57 am I am a little bias. I know the struggles of how it is doing sports and school. Some teachers do not understand that some athletes do not get home until late in the evening. Later during a game. My son sometimes would not get back o school until after 9PM from a match
I would think middle and high school teachers should have the homework assignments ready at the beginning of the week for the students to complete the next week. This would help athletes, kids in other extracurriculars, with jobs, who have evening therapy sessions, with learning disabilities and those who have to switch between homes (shared custody)
If your precious can't figure out time management skills he shouldn't be in extracurricular activities.
Where is time management if a kid has two matches a week that makes it to where the kid doesn't come home until almost 10PM?
Middle and high schoolers have multiple classes. Some kids leave the house at 6AM and don't get home until almost 10PM two nights a week and 7PM three nights a week, then have about two to three hours of homework they have to do (from multiple classes).
Freshmen and Sophmores do not get study hall either. If teachers worked together it would be different but some teachers seem to think their class is the only class giving a crap tom of homework. A fine example: my son's friend had to write a 10 page English report, five page history report, five page science report and do 30 minutes of math practice a night in one week. The kid was a freshman too. He got very little sleep that week. Even his mom who use to be a teacher said it was too much work.
They stay up late or wake up early. It really is not hard
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am My son is a great athlete
But school work comes first. Period.
School comes 1st to us too. It's just he has practice 5 days a week. And in weekends they do drills and he has trainer.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

My ds was a "star athlete" (but also did his required school work) until his Junior year in high school. One practice he hit a divot from a cleat on the practice field. Blew out his knee. Not a minor issue, he tore the ACL, PCL, MCL, & fractured his growth plate. 3 surgeries, 11 months in a cast, 7 months on crutches & a knee brace, 3 months on crutches w/o a knee brace, almost 2 years of physical therapy.

Never played football again, wasn't able to drive for over a year, had to walk across the graduation stage on crutches over a YEAR after the injury.

thank god his teachers didn't treat him the way you want your son to be treated. Star players can become former players in the blink of an eye.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 am Oh well.. This little bump in his life will build characters.. He will survive and be a better person and player.
It's just pissing him off. His trainer is gonna be mad that he missed his run this morning.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm
Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am My son is a great athlete
But school work comes first. Period.
School comes 1st to us too. It's just he has practice 5 days a week. And in weekends they do drills and he has trainer.

Pretending this is real, school does not come first to you. Your priorities are warped.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LOL!
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:19 pm
If your precious can't figure out time management skills he shouldn't be in extracurricular activities.
Where is time management if a kid has two matches a week that makes it to where the kid doesn't come home until almost 10PM?
Middle and high schoolers have multiple classes. Some kids leave the house at 6AM and don't get home until almost 10PM two nights a week and 7PM three nights a week, then have about two to three hours of homework they have to do (from multiple classes).
Freshmen and Sophmores do not get study hall either. If teachers worked together it would be different but some teachers seem to think their class is the only class giving a crap tom of homework. A fine example: my son's friend had to write a 10 page English report, five page history report, five page science report and do 30 minutes of math practice a night in one week. The kid was a freshman too. He got very little sleep that week. Even his mom who use to be a teacher said it was too much work.

That plan means they're not getting the sleep that their bodies require at that age.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm

That plan means they're not getting the sleep that their bodies require at that age.
It is a trade off. When you have more going on sometimes you dont sleep as much. That is a reality of life
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What about sleep?
Kids get some at 10PM and are expect to gonto bed at 1 or 2AM and then get back up at 5AM?
I never said "Don't give homework" I said it should be assign in advance. Give the kids a homework packet on Monday/Tuesday and have them hand it in the next Monday or Tueaday.
Some schools already do something like that with their class itinerary. Quizzes, tests, projects and homework is clearly lined out at the beginning of class.
I went to a military high school and our teachers knew we had mandatory JROTC duties. We were giving an itinerary for each class and during parade, tournament and inspection season were giving less homework.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm

It is a trade off. When you have more going on sometimes you dont sleep as much. That is a reality of life

It's also a reality that teens are not adults. They need that sleep. It's the responsibility of parents to make sure their children don't over extend themselves so much that their sleep suffers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic