If my ex wants the kids to have car insurance he can pay for it himself

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm You're not going to get helpful responses here because insurance in Australia is nothing like how it is here in the US. Just reading what you've responded with so far, I can't even comprehend. A teen would have no where near enough money to cover someone else's damages. That's why insurance is REQUIRED in the US. Everyone who registers a vehicle is responsible for obtaining insurance for said vehicle, including to cover damages to someone else's vehicle, and nothing comes with the registration. Insurance is obtained through third parties.
Not true not every state requires insurance, mine doesn't.
Only your state and one other state does not require insurance. That's a big minority. If this were an election your state's candidate would lose big time. ;) But even at that residents are still responsible for damages, up to $50K for liability. I don't know about you but I certainly don't have $50K laying around should an accident happen. It may not be required but it seems really dumb not to have it. My husband was hit by a car and his medical bills were over $100K. If you were the driver that hit him and you didn't have insurance would you be able to pay all his medical bills? Because I guarantee you if you didn't have insurance we would sue you for total costs plus pain and suffering and at least ruin your credit if we didn't get the money out of you. Because as the injured party I certainly wouldn't just let something like that go.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm You're not going to get helpful responses here because insurance in Australia is nothing like how it is here in the US. Just reading what you've responded with so far, I can't even comprehend. A teen would have no where near enough money to cover someone else's damages. That's why insurance is REQUIRED in the US. Everyone who registers a vehicle is responsible for obtaining insurance for said vehicle, including to cover damages to someone else's vehicle, and nothing comes with the registration. Insurance is obtained through third parties.
Only your state and one other state does not require insurance. That's a big minority. If this were an election your state's candidate would lose big time. ;) But even at that residents are still responsible for damages, up to $50K for liability. I don't know about you but I certainly don't have $50K laying around should an accident happen. It may not be required but it seems really dumb not to have it. My husband was hit by a car and his medical bills were over $100K. If you were the driver that hit him and you didn't have insurance would you be able to pay all his medical bills? Because I guarantee you if you didn't have insurance we would sue you for total costs plus pain and suffering and at least ruin your credit if we didn't get the money out of you. Because as the injured party I certainly wouldn't just let something like that go.
I have full insurance as does everyone in my household. I think it is stupid and irresponsible not too but just correcting you that EVERY state requires it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:36 am

I have full insurance as does everyone in my household. I think it is stupid and irresponsible not too but just correcting you that EVERY state requires it.
I never said "every state". I said "everyone who registers a vehicle". But those who live in the two states are such a minority in the whole US that the statement in general still stands. I knew there was at least one state that didn't require it, but it didn't seem significant to point it out. Sorry if you felt left out by that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:40 am

I never said "every state". I said "everyone who registers a vehicle". But those who live in the two states are such a minority in the whole US that the statement in general still stands. I knew there was at least one state that didn't require it, but it didn't seem significant to point it out. Sorry if you felt left out by that.
You implied it was the whole country meaning every state.... "That's why insurance is REQUIRED in the US"
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:40 am

You implied it was the whole country meaning every state.... "That's why insurance is REQUIRED in the US"
Back off lady. There is no precision requirement here. When I say it's required in the US, that statement is 97% accurate. That's because the population of the two states that don't require it is only 3% of the total US population. I don't give a fracking f**k about the measly 3% that don't apply to my general statement. Fact of the matter is, in general, car insurance is required in the US.
Locked Previous topicNext topic