Do you think 14 year olds should be able to drive?

mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I can't wait for my oldest to get her license in 2 years and 2 months when she is 16. I am done with being the taxi. I spend so much time in my car it is ridiculous and I'm over it. LOL

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am
Canadiana wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:37 am I feel like those who think 16 is too young probably got their licences later in life.

My niece is 14 and works at the restaurant and gas station.
Got my license at 16 as did everyone I know and I think it needs to be raised to 18 in order to get it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yup, I live in SD where do don't even need a hardship to get a permit. They just all get their permits at 14. My 13 year old has been driving gravel roads (not by himself) for the last couple years. He is already a pretty good driver and once he takes drivers ed and gets his permit he will have more experience than most 16-18 year olds in other states. He will still have to wait and work his way into city driving but by next year driving in our little town won't be a big deal. Country kids around are a lot more mature and have more life experience than city kids. It is what it is.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm How do kids who do not have permits get to school?
They take the bus or get a ride from their parents or a friend’s parents.
They can’t drive with only a Permit you know.
You do realize that permits don't work the same in every state. Here in SD you can drive alone with just a permit but only between certain hours.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am
Ledina60 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm How do kids who do not have permits get to school?
They take the bus or get a ride from their parents or a friend’s parents.
They can’t drive with only a Permit you know.
You do realize that permits don't work the same in every state. Here in SD you can drive alone with just a permit but only between certain hours.
I do realize.
Especially after a bunch of people have informed me of their States laws since yesterday .
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am I can't wait for my oldest to get her license in 2 years and 2 months when she is 16. I am done with being the taxi. I spend so much time in my car it is ridiculous and I'm over it. LOL

Canadiana wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:37 am I feel like those who think 16 is too young probably got their licences later in life.

My niece is 14 and works at the restaurant and gas station.
Got my license at 16 as did everyone I know and I think it needs to be raised to 18 in order to get it.
I didn't allow my kids to get their license at 16. I simply felt they were not ready to be behind of a 3,000 pd vehicle that could get themselves or someone else killed. I am glad I had them wait way to many things happened with my friends that had 16yr old kids driving.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I know my oldest is going to be ready. She already drives the golf cart in FL with us next to her. In November, she can legally take it on her own- we won't let her, but she could by law. We want her to get as much practice as possible with it before getting her learner's. She will get it next year and then she will be driving. I drove at 16, Dh drove at 16, so did our siblings. My nieces and nephew did as well. My youngest niece is going to be 17 in 3 weeks and she drives all over the place and has never had an issue. The laws here are fairly strict for teens so that helps. I'm just tired of being the chauffeur to everything.

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am I can't wait for my oldest to get her license in 2 years and 2 months when she is 16. I am done with being the taxi. I spend so much time in my car it is ridiculous and I'm over it. LOL

I didn't allow my kids to get their license at 16. I simply felt they were not ready to be behind of a 3,000 pd vehicle that could get themselves or someone else killed. I am glad I had them wait way to many things happened with my friends that had 16yr old kids driving.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic