Teenagers. Ughhh

Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This is how it is at my daughter's school. Also if there is a problem with tuition I like to be there so I can resolve the issue.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:17 am With my Freshman we had a day like that but they wanted the parents there. They gave us the forms when we got there, wanted us to fill them out and sign them there and then turn them in right away. They had "stations" set up that we went from one table to the next doing each thing - checking residency, checking vaccination records, getting schedule, paying fees, getting PE uniform, getting a student ID, etc, etc, etc. It just would not have worked well to do it without a parent there.

Then there was a different day, still before school started, that was Freshman Orientation and that was geared for just the kids themselves. So I just dropped him off and picked him up for that.

So my question would be - what does the school want/expect? Does the school expect parents to be there? If so I'd be telling my child "sorry but no, you can't do it alone, I have to be there with you".
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Freshman year...Im going.
Sophomore and up the kid can go alone
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I do everything on line, fill out the forms, e sign, pay fees on line. I drop my kid off, or they drive themselves to pick up their schedule and I give them cash to go to the spirit store. It is high school, I am there in the background if they need my help. I am turning out adults who need to be able to figure out things on their own.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’d let her and prefer it that way. I don’t want to be around anyone if I don’t have to be.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

First year, I'd go. After that I trust that my kid can pay fees and bring me papers. After the first time I'd think the info you're getting is going to be the same every year.

I remember being a teenager whose parents insisted on going to all this crap every damn year. It was incredibly embarassing.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm First year, I'd go. After that I trust that my kid can pay fees and bring me papers. After the first time I'd think the info you're getting is going to be the same every year.

I remember being a teenager whose parents insisted on going to all this crap every damn year. It was incredibly embarassing.
I remember being a teenager and attending an event (different kind in 8th grade) and I was THE ONLY kid there without a parent there as well. THAT was incredibly embarrassing.

I attended Freshman Registration with my kid because it was expected for parents to be there. I skipped on Freshman Orientation because it was geared towards the kids only even though parents wouldn't be kicked out.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am I'd just let her do it. It's a step toward independence and shows trust. If she is normally a good kid, I'd say she earns the privilege to get to do those types of things by herself if she wants.
Half of the stuff at prep day is geared towards parents.
Nothing you mentioned sounds geared towards parents. Cut the cord, if you can't trust your daughter to take $200 and give it to the right people at the school then you've failed at parenting.
Last year she took $40 to pay for something. It was stolen. There are some assholes at her school. As it was, I went up there with her. She did her part. I did mine. I had to sign a lot of paperwork, meet with the 504 coordinator, and actually ended up paying well over $200. Then she needed me to order her letterman jacket.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Dramatic much?

She didn't fail at parenting. She wants to be there to know what's going on. That's not a bad thing. That's called being an involved parent. And I paid my son's school fees with a credit card. Can't really do that without being there.
This isn't about trust or failure. It's about handling parenting stuff as the parent, not passing it off onto your kid.
To me that's what high school is about. It's now your kids life. Start giving him the responsibility. But I'm coming from a different perspective. I'm tired of being my son's personal secretary. Worrying about what he has to do for scouting or school. Bleck. He's 16 time for him to do it. The girl can tell her mother what is going on. Unless she's that unreliable- some kids are- I'd let her do it.
If we're talking about Jrs, Srs, absolutely. Sophomores, probably. Freshman, no. And OP hasn't said how old her daughter is, so I'm going off my own very recent experience with my own Freshman and our day where we did all of this, they wanted the parents there. And there was some things, like proving residency, paying fees, and even asking questions and getting answers, not to mention signing and handing back in right away all the forms, that I pretty much needed to be there. This is my first kid going to high school. It's BRAND NEW for BOTH of us. I want to know what is going on.

And trust me, I am far from a helicopter parent. But signing forms and paying fees is a PARENT'S duty. Not the child's.

Talk to me in a couple years when my oldest is a Jr and my youngest is a Freshman, I'll tell you that I am attending this event again with my Freshman and that my Jr is on his own to handle all his stuff.
Okay I don't really remember having to be there with my freshman. I did go with him to open house. But if there were fees I gave him a check and he brought forms home. It's easier because I work. Now if the school wants me there by all means I'll go. If the school wants him to handle it that's fine also. Hell he's been in his IEP meetings with me ever since ninth grade. The teachers want his input now. I will say the only thing I do that yds doesn't like is I check his grades. But even there I feel this is his business now, that is whether he passes or fails it's on him. He certainly feels they are his responsibility.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'd be going with, but I wouldn't make her stay with me. I'll camp at X location and she can bring me stuff.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I hate prep day. I would give my kid $200 and be grateful that he let me off the hook for this stupid thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic