I need some help.

guestop

Unread post

I've lost my creative streak. I use to write and draw back in middle school and a little in high school. I'm also an artist, and spent every day of my last 10 years in school doodling, writing, drawing. I came up with characters and outfit designs like my life depended on it! Backstories, story plots, you name it.

After I had kids, all that creativity kinda whisked away. I still come up with some good things every now and again, and my art style has definitely improved since back in the day. But I can't really come up with my own characters anymore. I can't think of anything to draw, I have to come up with reference photos. And don't even ask me to come up with a story to write about, not even a short story! It's near impossible for me. And ontop of that, I've started reading to try and get the creative juices working again, but I can't visualize any of the books I've been reading! It's making it really hard to read anything because I just can't see it or get into it.

Ideas?
ops

Unread post

I'd at least like to be able to read a book and actually be able to visualize it. So if anyone can give me some good advice on that? lol.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

I have had writers block for a long time so heres a bump
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ops wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 am I'd at least like to be able to read a book and actually be able to visualize it. So if anyone can give me some good advice on that? lol.
Maybe start with meditation, and then try to visualize something right after you've looked at it, like hold an apple in your hand, look at it for a few, roll it over in your hand, see the different shades of red, any imperfections, then flip the apple to the bottom and look at the bumps on the bottom, when your done with that turn to the top, is it a short stem or long? After you've studied the apple close your eyes with the apple in your hand, can you still see it in your mind?
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They have a dozen and a half writers prompts, take any one and see if you can do something with it. I've written a couple (crappy) short stories from those prompts.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
RedBottoms

Unread post

Kids drain your brain for sure. Have you tried to maybe gear your art into more kid oriented stuff? Like maybe try to write a story for your kids and illustrate it?

I know a lot of successful artists that kinda went that route when they had kids. Like a rock/folk musician who turned to writing kids music after he had twin girls
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think you're overthinking things. Try to find a way to relax your brain. Kids can be a lot of work, and your brain probably feels overworked. Once you are able to let your brain have some time to recoup, try again and see what happens.

How about asking your kids for ideas for a short story? Get them to help you?

Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm going through something similar. artist by degree. Illustrator. High end wall finishes, furniture. And Im dry. for the first time in my life. I'm not sure whats going on.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I used to write fan fiction. I still have 2 stories that are in limbo for 8 years. Sometimes it's just gone.
Locked Previous topicNext topic