How stupid would I be if I didn't take advantage of this?

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

7byher wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 am
highlandmum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 am
7byher wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am

I can choose between Mechanical, electrical and civil.

I think mechanical sounds like the most fun. Building things like airplanes parts and stuff.
I am a construction engineer. Keep in mind lots of computer skills, and lots of math. 3D rendering is so much fun once you learn it and just start fooling around with it on your own.
Yeah the math kind of scares me but its not like i can't learn it with effort and practice. Anybody can learn the math.

It seems really exciting and a field not many women are in.
I won't let my fears stop me anymore.
The math is not as hard as people think it is. It builds so the concepts follow through. Just if you have any issues at the beginning - ask someone right away, as if it gets away from you from the start you will never catch up. I am a math girl so it was never a issue for me.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am
7byher wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 am
highlandmum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 am
I am a construction engineer. Keep in mind lots of computer skills, and lots of math. 3D rendering is so much fun once you learn it and just start fooling around with it on your own.
Yeah the math kind of scares me but its not like i can't learn it with effort and practice. Anybody can learn the math.

It seems really exciting and a field not many women are in.
I won't let my fears stop me anymore.
The math is not as hard as people think it is. It builds so the concepts follow through. Just if you have any issues at the beginning - ask someone right away, as if it gets away from you from the start you will never catch up. I am a math girl so it was never a issue for me.
Yeah, I attempted to take a Plane Trig class this next 5 weeks at school. But me actually learning the math is sooooo important. I can't just half ass this class because I'm still going to have to take Calc 1,2,3 and I'll never understand it without understanding the Plane Trig first.

I decided to drop the Plane Trig class for this 5 weeks and take it the next semester for the full semester instead. That way I can actually learn it instead of half assing through it just to get the grade.

I understand it, just not well enough to be comfortable taking Calc afterwards.
AsstChief
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Very
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If its a field you wanted to study then go for it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I am intrigued by this. Typically when community college partners with a 4 year university, some of the courses can only be taken through the uni, and they are pricier. Otherwise, there is no incentive for the 4 year university to partner as little money would be gained. Colleges are businesses like anything else. Is it a grant?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

My FIL has a civil engineering degree and retired with over a million. He still lives a modest lifestyle. He never buys brand new cars always mid grade vehicles a couple years old. He lives way below his means but he makes up for it with his diet & organic lifestyle. Nothing genetically modified in any way all organic food locally sourced and they don’t use non organic hygiene or household products either.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm I am intrigued by this. Typically when community college partners with a 4 year university, some of the courses can only be taken through the uni, and they are pricier. Otherwise, there is no incentive for the 4 year university to partner as little money would be gained. Colleges are businesses like anything else. Is it a grant?
Engineering the Future
‌Houston Community College and the University of Texas at Tyler have partnered to create an innovative, four-year Engineering Degree program at HCC's Alief-Hayes Campus.

The new program will allow students to obtain a UT Tyler Engineering BS degree in the normal four-year time period while saving nearly 50 percent in their tuition costs.

While beneficial for the student, the program is also designed to support the engineering field and the businesses which need to fill highly skilled job opportunities.

HCC Associate of Science in Engineering Science
Students will complete their first two years at HCC, earning an Associate of Science in Engineering Science (ASES).

ASES Degree Plan
ASES Course Descriptions
ASES Course Sequence Chart
HCC Engineering Questions & Answers
HCC Engineering Contacts
UT Tyler Engineering Bachelor of Science Degree
Students who complete the prescribed ASES curriculum with an overall GPA of at least 2.5 and no grade lower than C are automatically admitted to the UT Tyler baccalaureate degree program. No further testing or evaluation is required.
It's like a lot of state community colleges that have deals with 4 year state universities. This one is excellent but the last two years are full price at the University. You can always get the two year degree and get a job with that if you decide not to go any further. Good deal.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm I am intrigued by this. Typically when community college partners with a 4 year university, some of the courses can only be taken through the uni, and they are pricier. Otherwise, there is no incentive for the 4 year university to partner as little money would be gained. Colleges are businesses like anything else. Is it a grant?
Nope. The estimated total cost of the program (probably just tuition) is about 17k
There's actually 3 universities that have partnered with the community college. The other 2 seem to be set up like you said but the UT one says on both the community college and the university website that its at the community college prices.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm all about more women in STEM, especially engineering. I love love love my job. You should go for it!
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You’ll regret not doing it. We have a similar thing with a few different majors with the community college and the local state university
Locked Previous topicNext topic