Debate this

QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have a colleague who refuses to shake hands of women due to religous beliefs. A female colleague is reporting this male colleague for discrimination.

Who is right and who is wrong? Does the male colleague have the right to discriminate because of his religous beliefs or should the female colleague be subjected to discrimination
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

As long as he doesn't let his religion get in the way of other things, like taking directive from higher ups who are female, then no, it's not a big deal or discrimination.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I dont shake people's hands either... but it is people of all genders.

I feel that the religious beliefs are more important than some random person's feelings
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So long as the man treats me with the respect due to me and works with me as a colleague i really wouldn't care if he shook my hand or not. I assume he's Muslim or Jewish? Maybe a slight bow when greeting a woman like the Japanese do would be a good choice.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don't have an answer but I want to know in what religion is it against their beliefs for a man to shake hands with a woman?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:58 pm I don't have an answer but I want to know in what religion is it against their beliefs for a man to shake hands with a woman?
Islam. You aren't supposed to touch women not related to you by marriage or blood.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:58 pm I don't have an answer but I want to know in what religion is it against their beliefs for a man to shake hands with a woman?
I believe orthodox Judaism and perhaps Islam. Maybe one of the Jewish moms can tell us.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:00 pm
Islam. You aren't supposed to touch women not related to you by marriage or blood.
Idk. I know a Muslim physical therapist. I'm pretty certain he works with both men and women.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:01 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:00 pm
Idk. I know a Muslim physical therapist. I'm pretty certain he works with both men and women.
From what I understand some people choose to ignore that aspect of their religion.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I would have to better understand how his refusal to shake hands is limiting his ability to work with women (or their ability to work with him) in any meaningful way.

However, a simple solution if he doesn’t want to appear discriminatory, would be to not shake hands with anyone.
Locked Previous topicNext topic