Getting a heavy kid active

JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:03 am Horseback riding? Geocaching? Trampoline park? Rock wall climbing? There are ways to be active that are also fun. I get bored by exercise for exercise’s sake, too.

Or you could incentivize physical activity, that is motivating to some kids. Make achievable goals for active time, do a special activity or (non food) treat if she meets them.
Those are some good ideas! Thanks. She actually really likes horses. Though I don't know how much exercise actually goes on in riding..?
My daughter rides and I rode for a few years as well. If you’re not doing just trail rides and really learning to walk, trot, and canter, it is more exercise than people think. Also taking care of the horse can be a workout too. That said, you are only doing it 2-3 times per week , you really need to augment with another form of fitness.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:03 am Horseback riding? Geocaching? Trampoline park? Rock wall climbing? There are ways to be active that are also fun. I get bored by exercise for exercise’s sake, too.

Or you could incentivize physical activity, that is motivating to some kids. Make achievable goals for active time, do a special activity or (non food) treat if she meets them.
Those are some good ideas! Thanks. She actually really likes horses. Though I don't know how much exercise actually goes on in riding..?
Depends on the style. I rode hunter/jumper and it’s a decent workout. Western trail riding? Not much. Lol

But regardless, it’s time not being spent being sedentary and snacking!
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I keep them outside. We go to amusement parks, parks, pool, beach, trampoline park etc. we also invite friends to go with us. Usually if you include their friends they are far more excited to go and do things.

I also limit snacks and pack our own lunches. They may get a small ice cream or something but for the most part snacks are a water bottle and fresh fruit. Lunches are picnic style but usually a sandwich, fruit, rice cakes, etc.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would just start small. Family walks a few times a week, then daily. Park farvawayvfrom stores, take stairs whenever you can. As for sports, I'd implement a rule, 1 sport or activity a season.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Start with a diet. Period. No junk food, no fast food. She needs to drop weight and seriously mild working out wont fix this. Get a dietitian. Make her go to physical therapy to build her muscles which are probably shite because shes allowed to be lazy. You failed her now fix it before type 2 diabetes and heart disease sets in.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 am
Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am Also, I wonder about the getting exhausted/heavy breathing/sweating...she asthmatic? Allergies? Pets in the home?
She is asthmatic but she has a puffer to deal with it. No allergies/pets.
I don't want to fool myself or make excuses - she completely sedentary and she's very heavy for her age, so it's no surprise that she finds exercise tiring :/
Acknowledging the effects of comorbidities is not making excuses. A child operating at a lower blood oxygen will ALWAYS avoid exerting herself. Sounds to me like the puffer may not be all she needs. Talk to the doc...he may prescribe an at-home O2 monitor and, if she reads a little low consistently, will likely add a maintenance medication.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Start with walks around the block as a family after dinner. Look into martial arts classes too. A good instructor can come up with a dozen ways to keep the kids active the whole class and making it fun.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Our rule is you can do whatever physical activity you want, but you have to do something. If you want to do multiple things, great, if you want to do one thing, that's fine too. We also make sure that they get an hour of exercise a day in some form. If it's a slow day and they have no activities and haven't been out playing, we go for a walk. Make it a habit to walk everywhere that's practical instead of driving.
What is her diet like? What does she eat and drink in the average day?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Tie a cupcake to a stick and tie the stick around his neck.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Would she walk with you daily?

Are you on summer break right now? What does she do to occupy herself all day?
Locked Previous topicNext topic