The judge ordered 50/50 custody for a 3 week old baby

Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Regardless of a child’s age it’s sad. I’d be really bummed if my 7 1/2 ye old and 6 yr old were only with me 50% of the time. It would suck, but fortunately that isn’t my reality. Your daughter will adapt and in the end both parents will benefit because they have equal time to bond with and raise their child.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 am I wish I hadn't even mentioned the breast feeding because the post mostly seems to be about that. Dd wasn't trying to say that because she breast feeds she should have full custody. That was just one of the things she was really upset about.

It was a no win situation
Anonymous2.0
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:50 am Regardless of a child’s age it’s sad. I’d be really bummed if my 7 1/2 ye old and 6 yr old were only with me 50% of the time. It would suck, but fortunately that isn’t my reality. Your daughter will adapt and in the end both parents will benefit because they have equal time to bond with and raise their child.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 am I wish I hadn't even mentioned the breast feeding because the post mostly seems to be about that. Dd wasn't trying to say that because she breast feeds she should have full custody. That was just one of the things she was really upset about.

Unfortunately for her, dad has a say in how the baby will be fed when it’s his time. I’m sure this is difficult but they did have the child together so he should get equal time.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t see it as unfortunate. Formula is a perfectly acceptable means of nutrition.

Anonymous2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am
Msprekteacher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:50 am Regardless of a child’s age it’s sad. I’d be really bummed if my 7 1/2 ye old and 6 yr old were only with me 50% of the time. It would suck, but fortunately that isn’t my reality. Your daughter will adapt and in the end both parents will benefit because they have equal time to bond with and raise their child.

Unfortunately for her, dad has a say in how the baby will be fed when it’s his time. I’m sure this is difficult but they did have the child together so he should get equal time.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:52 am And I whole heartedly disagree with that. I wanted to breast feed and #1 simply was lazy and refused to latch. So let’s play this game—I tell the judge “But your honor I’m going to exclusively breast feed for a year”. I get full custody for 12 months—Dad obviously isn’t in the home and I start formula feeding at day 2 months. He’d never know because no one in my camp is going to tell him.

Nope, formula is perfectly fine. If Mom wants to breast feed she will have to figure out a way to do it when it’s her time. And Yes, given my own struggles I know that’s not always possible but oh well. Dad has rights too that shouldn’t be trumped by breasts.

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 pm In most states that is what happens. They won't allow overnights or 50/50 for at least a year if exclusively breastfeeding. That is how it is in my state.
Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 pm But breast feeding should not interfere with a father who wants, and deserves equal time with his child. If that were the case then any woman can go to court and say “but I am breastfeeding, so I get baby 100% of the time”. To what end then? 6 months when baby starts solids? 1 year when most formula fed babies are put on cows milk? Or longer because Mom believes in extended breast feeding.

Nope, Dad has just as much right and formula isn’t the end of the world.

Don't agree but it would be easily discovered as dad would still have visitation. A newborn can't go more than 3-4 hours without a feeding. Exclusively from the breast no bottles would be easily found out and if they found out she was bottle feeding then it would be changed.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:38 am
Fullxbusymom wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 pm In most states that is what happens. They won't allow overnights or 50/50 for at least a year if exclusively breastfeeding. That is how it is in my state.
Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 pm But breast feeding should not interfere with a father who wants, and deserves equal time with his child. If that were the case then any woman can go to court and say “but I am breastfeeding, so I get baby 100% of the time”. To what end then? 6 months when baby starts solids? 1 year when most formula fed babies are put on cows milk? Or longer because Mom believes in extended breast feeding.

Nope, Dad has just as much right and formula isn’t the end of the world.

Thankfully that is starting to change. Its great to see dads being taken more seriously in Family Court.
But it isn't changing. A judge can not force a child not to be exclusively breastfed. Dads are taken seriously but in this case I agree. Dads still get a lot of bonding time just no over nights until they don't require a breast to be fed. This is not a knock on those that choose to bottle feed or formula feed either.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

To those in the back:
EQUAL rights meantrue equal rights. Not women having more rights then men.
i want candy!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

madfoodie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm To those in the back:
EQUAL rights meantrue equal rights. Not women having more rights then men.

It should be about what's best for the baby. The idea of "equality" for the parents shouldn't be a consideration.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:38 am

Thankfully that is starting to change. Its great to see dads being taken more seriously in Family Court.
But it isn't changing. A judge can not force a child not to be exclusively breastfed. Dads are taken seriously but in this case I agree. Dads still get a lot of bonding time just no over nights until they don't require a breast to be fed. This is not a knock on those that choose to bottle feed or formula feed either.
Actually they can.They can order pump or supplement with formula. Its much more than not having any overnights for a year. Its about them not having any time longer than at most 3 or 4 hours. If they are lucky. WMom would have to be nearby in case of cluster feeding
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Acceptable doesn't mean best... Breastfeeding is best.

This judge is going against the baby's best interests.
Msprekteacher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 am I don’t see it as unfortunate. Formula is a perfectly acceptable means of nutrition.

Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What is best is that baby is fed. There is no way to tell a child who was breast fed vs one who was bottle fed come school age. So I am. It one who puts a lot of stock into breast feeding UNLESS both Mom
And Dad feel it’s right for their situation.

ReadingRainbow wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:42 pm Acceptable doesn't mean best... Breastfeeding is best.

This judge is going against the baby's best interests.
Msprekteacher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 am I don’t see it as unfortunate. Formula is a perfectly acceptable means of nutrition.

Locked Previous topicNext topic