What does free speech mean to you

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Does it mean that you can go around on all social media platforms and comment every mean and hateful comments you can think of and gather hundreds of thousands of more people to do the same including death threats. If you are stopped from doing this that means the end of your free speech. A guy on YouTube and all other social media is getting harassed and has been for years. He has trued to report and everything else but free speech is always said as to why it continues. It's even know gotten into his real life instead of just on social media. Some feel like it should have been taken care of before and others think you should be able to say what you want to say when you want to. What does free speech mean to you?
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I very much doubt that YouTube let this guy get harassed because of “free speech.”

Freedom of speech means to me what it means to the legal system.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Free speech means the government cannot retaliate w/ fines, arrest, censorship. It doesn't give anyone the right to be a bag of dicks and then scream "freedom of speech" when held accountable by the public.

For this man, he has recourse. He can seek legal advice and I hope he does if it carries into his offline life. Death threats, threats of harm to his family, etc. these are all punishable in a court of law.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Technically we dont have free speech in my state
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:19 am Technically we dont have free speech in my state
What state is this?
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Freedom of speech to me means that you can voice your opinions. Remember those are all opinions and not always facts.

It also means that you should be mindful of other's opinions, and choices. Just because you don't like something someone does, doesn't mean you should attack them for it.

People forget to use common sense, and courtesy when speaking. They like to be mean, and that shouldn't be allowed. I think if you're going to be a rude jerk, then your freedom of speech on the internet should be taken away. A lot of people say things on the internet that they would never say to someone face to face. That's not okay.

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Free speech is guaranteed in both the U.S. and Canada. In Canada, everyone has the right to broadcast their opinions but that speech must not take away or intrude on others' rights.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Freedom of speech was never meant to be absolute. It means we can express our opinions. It does not mean we can slander, harass, or threaten others.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:19 am Technically we dont have free speech in my state
What state is this?
SA
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Free speech means THE GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your right to express your opinions. It does NOT mean you can get away with slander or death threats. That can be taken care of with legal help or by complaining to the police. For instance, you must follow the guidelines set forth by a website or risk being banned when you violate them. A website, being private, can impose sanctions.
Locked Previous topicNext topic