Question!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Why do we even bother giving our kids certain names when for their whole life long they would hardly be called by that actual name?
People with names like, William, James, James Robert, Adaline, Annastasia, Jacob, Alexander.... The majority of these kids would probably grow up hearing Bill, Jim, JR, Addy, Annie, Jake, and Alex. Im asking because I am guilty of it myself. I have two kids that probably didnt know their real first name for the first 3 or 4 years of their life because I would and still often refer to them as their nickname. I have a Jason and Annabelle, both go by Jay and Anna. And today I just woke up thinking, why did I spend all that time stressing about their names before they were born if I wasn't even going to use it? I just wonder why? I mean I really stressed so much especially about my daughters name. I wanted her to have this beautiful name and it had to be perfect. I found one that I really loved and it suited her, and now! I dont even use it! And dont even get me started on the middle name, that one had to be perfect too... whats even the purpose of a middle name? I mean other than those who choose to go strictly by their middle name, do those of us who do not even use it? I cant remember a single time where I was called by my middle name. Whats the point! lol.

Oh! and to add there are those parents who will name a child JUST to use the nick name! My cousin named her son James Robert. She specifically picked that name because she wanted to call him JR..... Why not just name him JR, or Jay-ar or something lol! The last one I am being silly with.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sounds like a personal problem. I use the names I gave my kids. Any nicknames are ones they gave themselves.
The middle name is so the kid knows they are in trouble. It's a progressive step. First name (Better see what's up), First and middle name (Mom is getting pissed off you're in trouble now) Full name First middle and last (You done fucked up. Say your prayers, you're never seeing the light of day again).
Nvl0707
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Weird thing to worry about.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am Sounds like a personal problem. I use the names I gave my kids. Any nicknames are ones they gave themselves.
The middle name is so the kid knows they are in trouble. It's a progressive step. First name (Better see what's up), First and middle name (Mom is getting pissed off you're in trouble now) Full name First middle and last (You done fucked up. Say your prayers, you're never seeing the light of day again).
:lol: This is true. I use my kids full names when they are in trouble. It seems to be the only time I call them by their full names.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

So why did you do it?
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My daughter is Elizabeth. We call her Elizabeth. If you call her anything shorter, she will correct you.
JulesFairy
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I intentionally chose names that we're non traditional and had no easy nickname because I didn't want that to happen. Middle names served two functions.... Let you know when you are really in trouble,lol, and in my family middle names were a way to honor special people.
But I do know people who intentionally chose names like William and Nicholas and Alexander so that their children could choose what name they wanted to go by when they got older. They liked that there were so many ways to shorten those names.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Maybe it’s a family name? I really don’t know, I didn’t pick names with the intent of using shortened or nicknames. If they choose to, that’s fine, I respect that, but wasn’t what I based picking their names on. Half my family call me by my first and middle name. You’d think it was hyphenated, lol. But that’s mostly because my aunt, purely coincidental, has the same first name and same middle initial.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

All three of my kids go by their given names. 🤷‍♀️
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I did this with my last. No real reason why. We knew we were going to call him TJ so the names themselves didn’t really matter. We flipped a coin between Thomas and Timothy and Timothy won. I suppose when he is older he may not going by TJ anymore and use Tim or something. Whatever he wants is fine with me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic