Strange question and maybe a bit morbid so proceed with caution.

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know. Maybe smell or maybe just sensing him. I think animals have senses that we don't entirely understand. I think of the story of the dog whose owner died and was buried and the dog just goes and lays on the grave site for hours on end. It's hard to believe that the sense of smell travels through 6 feet of dirt and a coffin, but it might just be more like sensing their owners in some way.

I don't know, but in general I fully believe there is a lot about this world that we don't entirely understand, that we can't even begin to scratch the surface of understanding.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

On a side note, I've specifically instructed DH and the children that when I die, I don't care if I'm buried or cremated but if I'm cremated DO NOT store me in the house. Either bury my ashes or sprinkle me somewhere. If they store me in the house, or make jewelry out of me, I WILL find a way to come back and haunt them in an unpleasant way.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am On a side note, I've specifically instructed DH and the children that when I die, I don't care if I'm buried or cremated but if I'm cremated DO NOT store me in the house. Either bury my ashes or sprinkle me somewhere. If they store me in the house, or make jewelry out of me, I WILL find a way to come back and haunt them in an unpleasant way.
I’ll be scattering his ashes in a few days
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Apparently they can smell the person.....I found this
It is pretty incredible that a dog is able to pick up on such minute differences in scent, especially in something that has been burned like ashes. In comparison to the human sense of smell, a dog’s highly developed sense of smell borders on a superpower. A dog’s world is quite different than ours. They sense things we humans cannot. What they lack in brain function and even eyesight, they make up quite brilliantly for with their keen sense of smell. You can observe a range of signs that dogs can smell ashes. The more concentrated the ashes, the easier it is for the dog to pick up the scent and react. Scattered ashes will naturally lose any scent they have more quickly than, say, those that are in a container. An urn is the most common container for ashes. If you notice, a dog will sniff, whine or pant when smelling ashes. If the dog smells the ashes of a human or dog that he knew, like a previous owner or another pet, you may notice the dog sitting quietly near the ashes. In some cases, this can also disturb the dog.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/sense/can-dogs-smell-ashes
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:36 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am On a side note, I've specifically instructed DH and the children that when I die, I don't care if I'm buried or cremated but if I'm cremated DO NOT store me in the house. Either bury my ashes or sprinkle me somewhere. If they store me in the house, or make jewelry out of me, I WILL find a way to come back and haunt them in an unpleasant way.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 am Apparently they can smell the person.....I found this
It is pretty incredible that a dog is able to pick up on such minute differences in scent, especially in something that has been burned like ashes. In comparison to the human sense of smell, a dog’s highly developed sense of smell borders on a superpower. A dog’s world is quite different than ours. They sense things we humans cannot. What they lack in brain function and even eyesight, they make up quite brilliantly for with their keen sense of smell. You can observe a range of signs that dogs can smell ashes. The more concentrated the ashes, the easier it is for the dog to pick up the scent and react. Scattered ashes will naturally lose any scent they have more quickly than, say, those that are in a container. An urn is the most common container for ashes. If you notice, a dog will sniff, whine or pant when smelling ashes. If the dog smells the ashes of a human or dog that he knew, like a previous owner or another pet, you may notice the dog sitting quietly near the ashes. In some cases, this can also disturb the dog.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/sense/can-dogs-smell-ashes

Ugh he was such an asshole human being but he loved that cat. I feel so bad for her.

I think I may try to find a way to save some of the ashes for her, I’m saving some for his daughter so I can save some for his beloved Guinevere
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Just an FYI if you haven't already check the law on scattering ashes. There are EPA laws about scattering ashes. I never knew that until we had my MIL cremated last fall. We are scattering her ashes at her favorite beach in May. We have to rent a charter and scatter them so many miles out from shore there can't do it on the beach.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Just an FYI if you haven't already check the law on scattering ashes. There are EPA laws about scattering ashes. I never knew that until we had my MIL cremated last fall. We are scattering her ashes at her favorite beach in May. We have to rent a charter and scatter them so many miles out from shore there can't do it on the beach.

I’m going on a cruise and have already contacted the cruise line about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic