Southwest Early-Bird Check In

Kel_in_AZ
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Has anyone used Early Bird Check-In on Southwest? I had to book a last minute trip for work, leaving Thursday afternoon. Southwest was one of my only options. I know that boarding can be a hassle as seats are not assigned. I am only taking a carry on and I don't want to have to check it if overhead space runs out. Is Early-Bird Check In useful? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It really just depends on how much you care about where you sit. If its just you by yourself, I wouldn't waste money on it. But if you are traveling with a group of people, its nice so you can be guaranteed to be sitting close to each other and not scattered all over the airplane.
Kel_in_AZ
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Justanotherperson wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 pm It really just depends on how much you care about where you sit. If its just you by yourself, I wouldn't waste money on it. But if you are traveling with a group of people, its nice so you can be guaranteed to be sitting close to each other and not scattered all over the airplane.
Thank you for your response.

I am travelling with 3 coworkers. It would be nice to be seated with them, but if that is not possible it is OK. I just don't want to be in the position to have to check my backpack because I boarded so late.
Momest83
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

I just used it for all three of us to be sure we sat together. I will use it again even if I am alone so I don't have to sit in the middle.
You are the cause. Your life is the effect.
Kel_in_AZ
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Momest83 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm I just used it for all three of us to be sure we sat together. I will use it again even if I am alone so I don't have to sit in the middle.
Oh, sitting in the middle is something I never considered. Good point...thanks.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I only used the early bird while traveling with my kids so we could all sit together. I really wouldn't bother if it was just me.
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Kel_in_AZ wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm
Justanotherperson wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 pm It really just depends on how much you care about where you sit. If its just you by yourself, I wouldn't waste money on it. But if you are traveling with a group of people, its nice so you can be guaranteed to be sitting close to each other and not scattered all over the airplane.

I am travelling with 3 coworkers. It would be nice to be seated with them, but if that is not possible it is OK. I just don't want to be in the position to have to check my backpack because I boarded so late.
Southwest has the most generous checked bag policy, so honestly most people end up just checking their bags. If they feel like they might not have enough room in overhead bins, they will ask people to volunteer to check their bags. But I fly Southwest pretty regularly and I have never seen it be an issue where they run out of overhead space. Just check in right at the 24 hour mark and you should get a high enough boarding number where you can still get decent seat and overhead space.
Kel_in_AZ
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Justanotherperson wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm
Kel_in_AZ wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Southwest has the most generous checked bag policy, so honestly most people end up just checking their bags. If they feel like they might not have enough room in overhead bins, they will ask people to volunteer to check their bags. But I fly Southwest pretty regularly and I have never seen it be an issue where they run out of overhead space. Just check in right at the 24 hour mark and you should get a high enough boarding number where you can still get decent seat and overhead space.
Thanks!
Locked Previous topicNext topic