The bird box challenge! Yay or nay?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Have you heard about the bird box challenge? I think if your responsible and use it as a learning experience it could give some a insight on how hard it is for the blind or visibility impaired to do even the simplest of task. I am not saying you should try to drive or chop veggies. But if you could just try to pour a drink or even walk around or turn on the tv without seeing. But I know some idiot is going to ruin it for everyone.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

IF people are really this stupid, hopefully they will only injure or kill themselves and not innocent bystanders.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I wouldn’t do anything to make my day difficult on purpose. Why??
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well now all those stupid memes are explained.
We've done various challenges at a cub scout disability belt loop class. I've also spent a day in a wheelchair-a disabled friend's challenge to me once. But I've not tried a blindfold.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm I believe that it is problematic that some think that by wearing a blindfold for a while, which you did not grow up with and can take off at any time, you will in any way, shape, or form understand what a visually impaired person goes through. It's not so much as "learning appreciation for what it's like" to me as it is "playing blind."
My son is hearing impaired in one ear. He wears a hearing aid. Someone did a program at his school where they had the kids put on noise-canceling headphones and they could only speak through signs and writing. The kids did not walk out of the classroom with a better understanding of my son. They walked out thinking how funny and cool it was to not be able to hear. As soon as it got hard, they just took their headphones off and the game was over.
They had no way of understanding all of the small obstacles my son goes through day to day, such as needing different headphones or having to sit in a certain part of the classroom or movie theater, and the big ones, such as being called stupid because he didn't hear someone properly, being yelled at by an employee while we were at the airport because he had to take his hearing aid off to go through the metal detector and couldn't hear the employees instructions, or that it may limit his job opportunities when he gets older. That is why I am against these immersive experiences that are supposed to teach people someone else's lifestyle in just a few minutes.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

It's as stupid as all the other 'challenges'.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm I agree with his. At best it’s dumb, at worst, it’s mildly insulting. Fact is, pretending to be blind for a little while won’t really give me the “blind experience” so that I can appreciate my eyesight.
It’s called the “Bird Box” challenge. I don’t know why you guys think it’s supposed to simulate a disability.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

I think it's stupid. It's just a movie and people need to stop trying to make it into something else.
Locked Previous topicNext topic