I only attend the charity thing if my son is performing.

RedBottoms

Unread post

So I thought this place could use more topics to discuss so I have a petty one lol

So I have noticed that there are a couple different charity events like balls or dinners etc where they try to get me to buy fairly pricey tickets to attend anywhere from $35 to $150. Its to raise money for my son's school or his dance studio etc.

But my son is not even performing at it....................

His school does this big charity dinner every year and they make a huge deal out of it. I was all planning on buying an entire table for like $145 and bringing my friends, my mom, DH etc because I thought my son would be dancing at the event. But then I found out only the high school kids dance in it. To be exact only the 10th through 12th graders dance in it.

Sorry but I am not coming and paying all that money to not even watch my son perform.

Same for his dance studio's ball they do where the tickets are anywhere from $75 to $150. I am not going to come unless he is dancing there but they typically only have the company dance at it.

And that is ALL FINE. That is their choice to just use the older teens. But then I am not coming. Throw my son out there for 30 seconds and I will pay whatever you ask me to pay to watch him. But I don't feel like paying that to watch someone else's kid perform.

I know its super petty but that is totally how I feel about it.

Let me know if I am just being super petty or would you feel the same way?

Would you attend a charity thing to watch someone else's kid perform or would you expect your own kid to be included if they wanted you to attend?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's your money, your choice. It ultimately helps your son, so I would support it if I had the means. It isn't charity, it's a fundraiser.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My kids don't perform but if I'm interested in the dance I might go if I could afford it. I'm interested in modern dancing that involves the physically challenged and I've a friend that performs. I prefer to see her but if she's not in it I'd go. But normal modern dance no I don't really like the genre. And honestly I don't want to pay 150 a plate or even 75.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm It's your money, your choice. It ultimately helps your son, so I would support it if I had the means. It isn't charity, it's a fundraiser.
Right. But wouldn't it be smart to include everyone then if you really are trying to boost funds and attendees? I am probably not the only one that would make sure to be there to watch their kid but might be eh to be there to watch someone else's kid.
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would take my ballerino to it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

It's okay that you don't go, everyone probably knows you can't afford it. I'm surprised your son isn't performing in everything since you say he's the best ever and he's being scouted by universities already.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Victoriousmom wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:55 pm I would take my ballerino to it.
I thought about that. I take him to a lot of performances. But these honestly just don't appeal to me as much so I would only go if it was to watch him at this point.

If I was running it-I would tell them to use all the kids even if for a super short number to make our attendance go up. But that is just me.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm It's okay that you don't go, everyone probably knows you can't afford it. I'm surprised your son isn't performing in everything since you say he's the best ever and he's being scouted by universities already.
Oh I can afford it. I actually went up to buy a whole table and that was when I found out that the middle school students are not allowed to perform. So then I was like "nevermind".

They don't let anyone perform but 10th though 12th graders. No matter how good they are. Which honestly is a shame because there are some damn good middle school dancers.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 pm It's your money, your choice. It ultimately helps your son, so I would support it if I had the means. It isn't charity, it's a fundraiser.
Right. But wouldn't it be smart to include everyone then if you really are trying to boost funds and attendees? I am probably not the only one that would make sure to be there to watch their kid but might be eh to be there to watch someone else's kid.
Helping the overall school my child attends in more important to me than my kid being in every single thing. I would be there to help support my child's school, no matter who is performing.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:03 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 pm
Helping the overall school my child attends in more important to me than my kid being in every single thing. I would be there to help support my child's school, no matter who is performing.
That is cool. I think a lot of people feel the same way so they still attend. I just don't feel that way. I support the school other ways by volunteering and donating for other things. But I am just not feeling this. When he is in it-I will probably buy multiple tables and invite a lot of people.
Locked Previous topicNext topic