Yummy Yum Yum

bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:19 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:48 pm Yuck...there is nothing good about that critter, but I'm biased after having one lunge at me when I walked out of my back door one day. My dog hates them too..she tries to kill every one that comes into the yard after seeing it try to attack me.
They are practically immune to rabies, eat thousands of ticks a year, and are very important to the environment. There's a lot good about them.
Chickens are 100% immune to rabies and also eat ticks. Plus they give me breakfast. I’ll take those over opossums, who can carry and transmit tularemia, toxoplasmosis, leptospirosis, tuberculosis, spotted fever, etc.
Yeah but they also keep rats, and roaches away and will kill snakes.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

bmw29 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm

They are practically immune to rabies, eat thousands of ticks a year, and are very important to the environment. There's a lot good about them.
Chickens are 100% immune to rabies and also eat ticks. Plus they give me breakfast. I’ll take those over opossums, who can carry and transmit tularemia, toxoplasmosis, leptospirosis, tuberculosis, spotted fever, etc.
You know what else will keep rats in check? Snakes. Roaches aren't a problem for me, and chickens will also happily take care of those if they are in your area. Killing snakes is another big strike against them.

Sorry, you aren't selling me on opossums.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 pm I've never liked them. They are aggressive little twits. I should be able to go into my backyard and not be lunged at by one. I wish they would just stay out of my yard. I'd be happier and so would they because my dog would not chase them.
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 pm Until you have one lunging and hissing at you for walking out your back door.. my opinion stands. I loathe the little beasts with a passion.

I have. And my husband deals with them often at work. I don't hold it against them. They are wild animals, they defend themselves when they feel like they are in danger.
We moved into their habitat, so yeah sometimes they are going to get confused and end up in your yard. Give them space and they will give you space.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Opossums get a bad rap based on myths.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"mean little bastards"...made me laugh out loud! :lol:
AnnieArk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:48 pm Yuck...there is nothing good about that critter, but I'm biased after having one lunge at me when I walked out of my back door one day. My dog hates them too..she tries to kill every one that comes into the yard after seeing it try to attack me.

They're mean little bastards. A friend of mine had a huge vet bill after one of them attacked her small dog.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 am Opossums get a bad rap based on myths.
No myths factor in to my generally negative opinion of them.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:42 pm
bmw29 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 pm

You know what else will keep rats in check? Snakes. Roaches aren't a problem for me, and chickens will also happily take care of those if they are in your area. Killing snakes is another big strike against them.

Sorry, you aren't selling me on opossums.
LOL I don't really deal with any of them but my niece used to work for the local nature museum and they had a opossum they nursed back to health that is now their animal ambassador. She used to take him home at night to care for him since he couldn't be left alone. I still think they're ugly but my opinion of them isn't nearly as harsh at this point. Plus I'm not a huge fan of chickens. My grandparents had a farm and I've been flogged more times than I care to remember. Ha I've also been attacked by geese so I'm a little wary of birds in general now.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Color me confused. I was expecting a picture of food, and instead you show me an adorable little possum.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I read an article yesterday that said they kill ticks. So if thats a problem where you live, I would keep it around!

They don't bother me. Like any wild animal, they just want their space. I stay away from them, and they stay away from me.

Deleted User 670

Unread post

I'm no fan of opossums. But I don't want to eat them either.
Locked Previous topicNext topic