Teen Allegedly Threw Boy, 8, Off 31-Foot-High Waterslide Platform/Had been violent before

Reedusstalker

Unread post

His ass should be in prison. I dont give a shit if hes "disabled". Disabled people can be and should be taught right from wrong.
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:29 am His ass should be in prison. I dont give a shit if hes "disabled". Disabled people can be and should be taught right from wrong.
Yep
Reedusstalker

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:25 am
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am First, I didn’t say lock HIm up for being special needs... he needs to be locked up because he THREW AN 8 YEAR OLD OFF A THREE STORY STRUCTURE BECAUSE HE FELT IMPATIENT. I would think a NT person who did the same thing should be locked up as well. His SN do not excuse his behavior, and if they do then yes, he should be locked up for the safety of the public.

Not every special needs person is violent or dangerous. And there is no way this boy went from zero to “throwing random children off 30 foot structures” out of nowhere. I’d bet my last dollar hat he has shown violent and impulsive behavior before. I don’t think hiring an aide wasn’t enough - though I wouldn’t argue with growing some charges at her too, even though I doubt the parents warned her about exactly how dangerous their kid is.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 am

the Parents hired an aide to take him out into public and monitor and control him. The aide did not do their job.

This is a slippery slope here people. Are you suggesting we go back to the days of locking all people less than 100% perfect and typical away in institutions or our attics like they did in the 20s?

If he was dangerous the water park may not have been the best place for him-but we can't also go back to the way things were where we lock people away either. Or do you want to do what Hitler did and have them sent to the gas chambers for being special needs?
The aide absolutely in my opinion deserves charges. They paid and hired her to do a certain job and she did not do it. We don't know what the parents told the aide or how long the aide has worked with the boy etc. Its possible the aide was told to always stay next to him and avoid long lines etc and she ignored that. So then honestly the crime is more on the aide than the Special needs person.

There are a lot of factors to this story. If my son was at school and on a field trip and he was supposed to have an aide with him and they didn't and he did something that hurt someone else-I would wanting the aide in jail and the school system in trouble-not necessarily my son. Because they fucked up.

Now my son is not going to toss someone over a railing but he might accidentally hurt someone during a meltdown if he got upset and threw something etc. You just never know. Its why I monitor him closely. Its also why I don't take him into situations that are too much for him. Its why I tell his teachers what I expect of them when he is under their care.

But again-if they f**k up and don't do what they are supposed to do-that is on them-not me or my son. I tell them very plainly what he needs and its documented in his IEP.
Absolutely it should be on the boy, or your son if it were him. Just because he's SN doesnt mean he should be helf accountable for his actions. The aide should lose her job. SN people, this person the story is about and your son can be, and should be, taught there are consequences for actions. (Not saying you arent teaching him that)
RedBottoms

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:46 am
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am First, I didn’t say lock HIm up for being special needs... he needs to be locked up because he THREW AN 8 YEAR OLD OFF A THREE STORY STRUCTURE BECAUSE HE FELT IMPATIENT. I would think a NT person who did the same thing should be locked up as well. His SN do not excuse his behavior, and if they do then yes, he should be locked up for the safety of the public.

Not every special needs person is violent or dangerous. And there is no way this boy went from zero to “throwing random children off 30 foot structures” out of nowhere. I’d bet my last dollar hat he has shown violent and impulsive behavior before. I don’t think hiring an aide wasn’t enough - though I wouldn’t argue with growing some charges at her too, even though I doubt the parents warned her about exactly how dangerous their kid is.
The aide absolutely in my opinion deserves charges. They paid and hired her to do a certain job and she did not do it. We don't know what the parents told the aide or how long the aide has worked with the boy etc. Its possible the aide was told to always stay next to him and avoid long lines etc and she ignored that. So then honestly the crime is more on the aide than the Special needs person.

There are a lot of factors to this story. If my son was at school and on a field trip and he was supposed to have an aide with him and they didn't and he did something that hurt someone else-I would wanting the aide in jail and the school system in trouble-not necessarily my son. Because they fucked up.

Now my son is not going to toss someone over a railing but he might accidentally hurt someone during a meltdown if he got upset and threw something etc. You just never know. Its why I monitor him closely. Its also why I don't take him into situations that are too much for him. Its why I tell his teachers what I expect of them when he is under their care.

But again-if they f**k up and don't do what they are supposed to do-that is on them-not me or my son. I tell them very plainly what he needs and its documented in his IEP.
Absolutely it should be on the boy, or your son if it were him. Just because he's SN doesnt mean he should be helf accountable for his actions. The aide should lose her job. SN people, this person the story is about and your son can be, and should be, taught there are consequences for actions. (Not saying you arent teaching him that)
I agree. The problem lies when their mental capacity is not able to fully understand the consequences. Then it becomes a very gray area. My son is smart and he gets that people can die or be hurt. He understands going to jail etc. But we don't know if this guy understands that and there are hundreds more special needs people that don't understand that due to just not having that mental capacity
RedBottoms

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:29 am His ass should be in prison. I dont give a shit if hes "disabled". Disabled people can be and should be taught right from wrong.
It depends. Some mentally disabled people don't mature beyond a 2 or 3 year olds frame of mind.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 am

I agree. The problem lies when their mental capacity is not able to fully understand the consequences. Then it becomes a very gray area. My son is smart and he gets that people can die or be hurt. He understands going to jail etc. But we don't know if this guy understands that and there are hundreds more special needs people that don't understand that due to just not having that mental capacity
If they arent mentally capable to understand consequences then yes, they should be kept away from public.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:50 am
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 am

If they arent mentally capable to understand consequences then yes, they should be kept away from public.
then we will end up going back to that time period when we lock up all mentally disabled. I attend a special needs event at the local zoo every year and the Orange Grove people always come with their aides. Its severely mentally disabled adults that pretty much have the mentality of kids. They put on costumes and do the little games and trick or treat etc. And I am glad they get to get out and participate and do something fun. They can't help the way God made them. That man may look 70 but he has the mentality of a 3 year old. He deserves to have a nice life too.

Now if they are super violent-those ones probably don't get to come. But I don't have a problem with accepting and trying to include everyone.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This asshole did know right from wrong. He KNEW the kid would be injured and he did it anyways because "the line was long". Apparently this wasn't his first case of being violent. I read that 3 weeks prior to this incident, at the same park, he bit a lifeguard. https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/02/m ... y-charges/
This is a habit with this particular individual and you can bet his aide wasn't watching when the biting incident happened either. He needs to be locked away permanently for the safety of society.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 am
This asshole did know right from wrong. He KNEW the kid would be injured and he did it anyways because "the line was long". Apparently this wasn't his first case of being violent. I read that 3 weeks prior to this incident, at the same park, he bit a lifeguard. https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/02/m ... y-charges/
This is a habit with this particular individual and you can bet his aide wasn't watching when the biting incident happened either. He needs to be locked away permanently for the safety of society.
oh wow. That changes my opinion then. I always try to side on giving grace to special needs people and their families. Because I have been there, you know where we get vilified when we are just trying to do the best we can. But if they knew he was the violent and had been to this specific place before and been violent-they were just using horrible judgement. The aide and the parents should also be charged.
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think that there is plenty of blame for the parents and the aide, but I don’t think SN should absolve him from all responsibility, or from the consequences. If his disability is that profound, he needs to be institutionalized for the safety of the public. If it isn’t, he needs to answer for what he has done.
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am
TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 am This kid didn’t accidentally hurt someone. He picked a young child up, and intentionally threw him thirty feet to the ground, knowing it would hurt him. He could have KILLED him. He should not be inflicted on the public with or without an aide. Hell, if the aide had been there he might have thrown her. He is too dangerous.

We are not his psychiatrist or doctor so we don't know for sure what mental capacity he has to know or understand things like death or injury or gravity.

but I agree if they knew he was that volatile he should not have been there in the first place. I know my son can't handle long lines so we avoid crowded amusement parks. Or we get him a disability pass that helps him avoid lines.

Someone definitely failed somewhere. I am looking at the blame not just going on the special needs person though. The parents and the aide have some blame here too. Maybe more of the blame than even him.

And the thing is though if someone cannot be out in society-then its our job as a society to help the family manage that by our tax dollars paying for respite care or a group home etc. We can't expect parents to have to watch their special needs adult 24/7 but still somehow figure out how to work a job to pay bills.

The system is broken.
Locked Previous topicNext topic