Summer Camps

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:52 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 pm I have to force them to do camps now. No matter how fun, they would rather sleep in, play on the computer, and meander around the neighborhood.

ODS did a soccer camp.
YDS had SPEDED summer school & is now in tutoring.
I made them do some days at Sky Zone.
Next week they both had engineering camp, titled "Wreck It"

But that's about it, I am trying to be more of a free-range, non-helicopter parent. It is really difficult, LOL.

Your children will appreciate you doing that.
Which one? The being more hands-off so they can be independent? I hope so, the more research I do, I am convinced it’s the best thing for their mental health.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 pm I have to force them to do camps now. No matter how fun, they would rather sleep in, play on the computer, and meander around the neighborhood.

ODS did a soccer camp.

But that's about it, I am trying to be more of a free-range, non-helicopter parent. It is really difficult, LOL.

Which one? The being more hands-off so they can be independent? I hope so, the more research I do, I am convinced it’s the best thing for their mental health.

The hands off approach. I see the difference between my child and her friends with parents who helicopter. Mine is more confident, has more initiative, and is significantly less stressed.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am

The hands off approach. I see the difference between my child and her friends with parents who helicopter. Mine is more confident, has more initiative, and is significantly less stressed.
Studies support your personal observations. Good job mama!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

l
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:25 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am

Studies support your personal observations. Good job mama!

:)
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

When I think of sleepaway camps I think bed bugs so nope lol.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:44 am

ODS did a soccer camp.

I had to force my two in summer camps last year. This year both went to a week long horse riding day camp. I am glad they both loved it as it was expensive. Today, my youngest is at her last day of adventure camp, but I could not get my oldest in a second week.

I know that summer day camps are now a thing of the past for my oldest, but I have one or two more summers yet for my youngest. I am glad that my oldest is old enough to babysit her sister for the few days that vacation times, visiting grandparents, travel and such don't cover off all the summer days.

I know exactly what you mean about trying to be more a free-range, non-helicopter parent. It is hard because we worry so much about them; for me, specially since both my husband and I are working downtown.

Letting children that age free range is one of the best gifts you can give them. They need that freedom.
Try doing that in the wealthier neighborhoods and see how many kids they have to play with. They'll have plenty of freedom when they're 18 and away at college or a new job.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I had to force my two in summer camps last year. This year both went to a week long horse riding day camp. I am glad they both loved it as it was expensive. Today, my youngest is at her last day of adventure camp, but I could not get my oldest in a second week.

I know that summer day camps are now a thing of the past for my oldest, but I have one or two more summers yet for my youngest. I am glad that my oldest is old enough to babysit her sister for the few days that vacation times, visiting grandparents, travel and such don't cover off all the summer days.

I know exactly what you mean about trying to be more a free-range, non-helicopter parent. It is hard because we worry so much about them; for me, specially since both my husband and I are working downtown.[/color]

Letting children that age free range is one of the best gifts you can give them. They need that freedom.
Try doing that in the wealthier neighborhoods and see how many kids they have to play with. They'll have plenty of freedom when they're 18 and away at college or a new job.
We are not wealthy but I understand your comment, many times my children wander just the two of them, lol!!

But you know it’s crazy, because prelim studies & theories are are suggesting higher numbers of these helicoptered kids are not doing so well mentally at college these days. One study showed drug use was actually higher in upper middle and upper class than those of lesser economic income and those with less parental involvement?!? That blew my mind. Many psychologists are blaming the over scheduling on the anxiety and increased suicide rates in this demographic. I don’t know what to believe.

Are you a free-ranger or really involved? Or in the middle?
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mine did several wrestling camps a summer and a couple tourneys. it was as much fun as it sounds.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:05 pm I cant imagine being so lazy that I have to send my kids away to summer camp
So if both parents work what do you suggest the youngsters do, roam the streets? I mean I did that from the age of ten on up but in some states CPS frowns on that. And due to those damn pesky child labor laws they can't get jobs so...
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I know exactly what you mean about trying to be more a free-range, non-helicopter parent. It is hard because we worry so much about them; for me, specially since both my husband and I are working downtown.[/color]

We live in a wealthier neighborhood. Few of my daughter's friends live near. She rides her bike some places. I drive her to other places. I always know where she is, but she's the one making her own schedule.

She'll be safer entering the adult world than her peers with parents who hover or totally run their children's lives.
Locked Previous topicNext topic