Who's obligation is it to provide affordable housing and how cheap does it have to be?

WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We have 40b here.
I shit glitter
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Are your in real estate? A financial analyst, perhaps?

Many do not understand how the real estate market operates.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I think HUD needs to go, along with Fannie, Freddie, the BHA and the housing loans for members of the military.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
RedBottoms

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 am
RedBottoms wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Same with houses. Not every house has to be a McMansion. Some can be 2 or 3 bedrooms instead of 6 bedrooms. They will still sale the house no problem
Starter homes here start at $400,000+ and are on the market for under a week, some sell 24 hours after hitting the market
That is a good chunk of change for many and unaffordable for some. But it is what the market allows. Do you want to make developers sell for less? They simply cannot do it as it is the land that costs the money. How do you want to regulate this? Do you want to regulate the amount a reseller can make on a house?
you must live in a place with a high market. So if that is what the cheapest is for a starter home, I guess it is what it is. Here where I live that would buy you a really nice non starter home. Starter homes here kinda like what we have are about 150,000
nmkj
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I don't think it's anyone's job to provide a house to someone. Find what you can afford.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

nmkj wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:47 am I don't think it's anyone's job to provide a house to someone. Find what you can afford.
This. And if all you can afford is some place not so nice that's on you. Work harder and try and save until you can afford something nicer. No one is entitled to receive free or low cost things. Would it be nice, hell yeah, but if you want something bad enough, work for it and earn it.

Unread post

nmkj wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:47 am I don't think it's anyone's job to provide a house to someone. Find what you can afford.
Exactly this.

People are becoming less self sufficient every day.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 am
RedBottoms wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm I don't think every apartment building needs to be state of the art and huge and fancy so that the rent is $1500 a month. They can make some smaller less fancy ones. They will still have tenants.

Same with houses. Not every house has to be a McMansion. Some can be 2 or 3 bedrooms instead of 6 bedrooms. They will still sale the house no problem
Starter homes here start at $400,000+ and are on the market for under a week, some sell 24 hours after hitting the market
That is a good chunk of change for many and unaffordable for some. But it is what the market allows. Do you want to make developers sell for less? They simply cannot do it as it is the land that costs the money. How do you want to regulate this? Do you want to regulate the amount a reseller can make on a house?
you must live in a place with a high market. So if that is what the cheapest is for a starter home, I guess it is what it is. Here where I live that would buy you a really nice non starter home. Starter homes here kinda like what we have are about 150,000
In my area that would get you a one bedroom, one bath condo without parking. In a older building.
Deleted User 114

Unread post

Agreed 100%
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 amExactly this. People are becoming less self sufficient every day.
nmkj wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:47 amI don't think it's anyone's job to provide a house to someone. Find what you can afford.
RedBottoms

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 am
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 am

In my area that would get you a one bedroom, one bath condo without parking. In a older building.
I think people probably need to consider things like that in picking a place to live but on the other hand, rich people in rich areas still want people to work their restaurants as servers or work as their maids etc so if they want people around to do that-they need to probably provide some affordable housing for those people to live in. If that makes sense.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Exactly. And if you live in a high col area like I do, sometimes it's not a particularly nice area or big space.
Locked Previous topicNext topic