Thoughts?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I saw this on fb. It says in the comments that the kid in question is 7 but mom says she's the size of a 2 year old because she doesn't have arms or legs.
Screenshot_20240331_154804_Facebook.jpg
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think the main thing is she was allowed to fly there with her child as a lap child and they denied it coming back. It needs to be a consistent policy so parents can plan.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

It goes by age not weight/disabilities so I'm not sure she wins her argument. However airlines are a complete mess with EVERYTHING these days so I am not surprised there was an issue.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:07 pm I think the main thing is she was allowed to fly there with her child as a lap child and they denied it coming back. It needs to be a consistent policy so parents can plan.
It's clear when you book the tickets that lap children are ages 2 and under only. She would have had to lie to get the ticket in the first place. Imo if she felt she needed an exception because of her disability she should have called the airline instead of just lying and expecting to get away with it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:14 pm It goes by age not weight/disabilities so I'm not sure she wins her argument. However airlines are a complete mess with EVERYTHING these days so I am not surprised there was an issue.
They are an absolute disaster! But the guidelines are clear and set by the faa not the airline.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Not enough information to form an opinion one way or another. Did the mom indicate "lap child" on reservation? Did she indicate accurate age? I would be surprised if an airlines allowed a child over 2 to be booked as needing no seat. Regardless, someone flying with a child in the lap requires special seating to accommodate additional oxygen masks. Usually flights only have one or two of these seats available. She could have been bumped off the flight as one of those seats weren't available.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There’s a reason it’s by age and not size. It has to do with safety. She should have contacted the airline before booking. She’s putting an awful lot of blame on the airline when much was a her not necessarily a them.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If the child is 7 then the child should never have been a lap child to begin with. Not unless she called the airline before booking and got special permission to do so, but the rant doesn't seem to indicate anything like that.

And not to sound snobbish but Frontier is known for being a cut rate airline and I would never fly with them with a family. I won't even fly with them when flying on my own because I am picky about my seat and I pay extra on other airlines to ensure I will get the seat I want. I don't trust Frontier to make that happen for me.

I'm also really curious what she meant by "hop on the road to come across state line". Is it supposed to be a big deal that he had to cross a state line to come get them? The way she said it makes it seem like he had to cross into another country to get them.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:35 pm If the child is 7 then the child should never have been a lap child to begin with. Not unless she called the airline before booking and got special permission to do so, but the rant doesn't seem to indicate anything like that.

And not to sound snobbish but Frontier is known for being a cut rate airline and I would never fly with them with a family. I won't even fly with them when flying on my own because I am picky about my seat and I pay extra on other airlines to ensure I will get the seat I want. I don't trust Frontier to make that happen for me.

I'm also really curious what she meant by "hop on the road to come across state line". Is it supposed to be a big deal that he had to cross a state line to come get them? The way she said it makes it seem like he had to cross into another country to get them.
Six hours each way to pick someone up is a big deal. In many places that would be the distance to another country.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:35 pm If the child is 7 then the child should never have been a lap child to begin with. Not unless she called the airline before booking and got special permission to do so, but the rant doesn't seem to indicate anything like that.

I fly frontier with my teens and I totally agree they're a cut rate airline. It gets us from point a to point b safely and that's all I expect from them. But I know when I book our tickets it specifies that lap children are 2 and under only and I have to enter the birthday of every person flying so she had to have lied to get her passed off as a lap child. It flagged me when I accidentally put my teen as a child instead of an adult even though it was the same price either way. Wouldn't let me book until I corrected it.
I have had to call frontier and ask for accommodations before for my kids (when dd was in a wheelchair, before autistic ds could handle flying not sitting next to me, and when ds had a freshly broken collarbone) and they've always been incredibly accommodating. The year I called saying dd was in a wheelchair and ds has autism and needs to sit with me while I acclimate him to travel by plane they upgraded the 3 of us to the 2nd row for free together so I'd have the space to help both of my kids. I didn't even ask for that she just said I had enough to handle without worrying about how much space we had to help them.
But I do believe it's a law that ages 3+ have to have their own seat so I don't think they could have made an exception if they asked. Bringing her car seat on and preboarding would be options but they didn't want to pay for her seat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic