Question Regarding Solar Eclipse?

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Didn't really know much about it. My mom was talking about the glasses awhile ago. My dad mentioned it today and said it was all overkill. I don't care about it. I know nothing about what the schools are doing, but it might fall in line with spring break, which is two weeks anyway.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

All staff and students will get glasses. We are hoping for parent volunteers to help with taking the kids out.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Don't know about the schools, but the banks, city offices, and a few small businesses will be closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the schools close too . I have to be honest, though - I just don't get all the hullaballoo about this. It's an eclipse, we've had them before and we'll have them again. All this fuss for a ~5 minute event?? I get that we're in the path of totality, but still, why shut things down?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:31 pm Don't know about the schools, but the banks, city offices, and a few small businesses will be closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the schools close too . I have to be honest, though - I just don't get all the hullaballoo about this. It's an eclipse, we've had them before and we'll have them again. All this fuss for a ~5 minute event?? I get that we're in the path of totality, but still, why shut things down?
It’s simple projection in my are is for over 1 million visitors. Roads cannot handle it that is the reason businesses and schools are closing down. You cannot get a hotel room if you tried right now. I am just waiting for it to rain that day.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:28 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:31 pm Don't know about the schools, but the banks, city offices, and a few small businesses will be closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the schools close too . I have to be honest, though - I just don't get all the hullaballoo about this. It's an eclipse, we've had them before and we'll have them again. All this fuss for a ~5 minute event?? I get that we're in the path of totality, but still, why shut things down?
It’s simple projection in my are is for over 1 million visitors. Roads cannot handle it that is the reason businesses and schools are closing down. You cannot get a hotel room if you tried right now. I am just waiting for it to rain that day.
Yeah, one small side of my brain knows it's about traffic/logistics and all that, but that doesn't help the bigger side that doesn't get why THAT MANY people care about an eclipse! I can't make it ALL make sense to me. I've been pondering this for the whole month of March, when I got my special glasses from the bank and was told there that the state DOT is anticipating 18+ hour traffic jams. Sounds more like a "world is ending" thing than just an eclipse.

Will people change their plans if rain is forecast for the area they plan to go to?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I really do not know what people will do if it rains. Hotels are almost fully book and ones that have rooms are charging $900 a night. I guess at this time they would be stuck with the room. I’ll watch from my backyard I am not going anywhere next weekend. My area of under 100,000 people is expected to reach over 1 million tourists that is a logistical nightmare. My work is closed from Friday at noon till Wednesday. It’s all because of the anticipated traffic chaos.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:04 pm I really do not know what people will do if it rains. Hotels are almost fully book and ones that have rooms are charging $900 a night. I guess at this time they would be stuck with the room. I’ll watch from my backyard I am not going anywhere next weekend. My area of under 100,000 people is expected to reach over 1 million tourists that is a logistical nightmare. My work is closed from Friday at noon till Wednesday. It’s all because of the anticipated traffic chaos.
All I can say at this point is that I'm gonna make sure my phone is charged because I don't know if I'll even be able to make it to work if traffic will be as bad as they're anticipating!
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Our school district hasn’t said a thing about it. I didn’t even realize there was going to be a solar eclipse 🫣 It’s tomorrow? (4/1?)
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:08 pm Our school district hasn’t said a thing about it. I didn’t even realize there was going to be a solar eclipse 🫣 It’s tomorrow? (4/1?)
Week from tomorrow (4/8).
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We would like to be in the totality. We saw the total eclipse in 2017 and it was a really amazing experience. But, the traffic was just ridiculous. And this year it was already too late to get a motel room in January! We may end up car camping on some Texas back road, lol. At least we still have our glasses.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic