Florida’s DeSantis signs one of the country’s most restrictive social media bans for minors

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:38 pm
Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:11 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:46 pm

Have you read The Parable of the Talents? Every day we inch closer to the future described by Butler.

This was in the DeSantis speech:

This is from the book after a Christian zealot (who wants to "make America great again") gets elected president:

No, but that is uncanny.
It was written in like 1998.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out it was modified from the original, lol.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:19 pm
jas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:08 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 pm

I completely disagree that the government should have any right to come in and tell parents their kids can't use social media. It crosses a line. I'm so over the government deciding that teachers can't let kids mention their two same S*x parents, books being removed because some yahoo gets pissy about it, and so on..it's not for the FL government to decide what parents that live there can allow their children to do and at what ages.
You're free to move to somewhere that aligns more to what you believe. I like this bill and support it. A LOT of parents are idiots and yes, they do need to be told how to raise their kids. So teachers can't mention this or that... so? If YOU think YOUR child is ready - teach them. Want them to read a book? Buy it. The standards are NOT the same across the board. Just because a kid is in a certain grade doesn't make them ready to learn about certain things. Parents who give a shit are the ones speaking out. They don't ban a book because 1 is being pissy.
Do you live in Florida?
Yep
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:44 pm
jas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:08 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 pm

I completely disagree that the government should have any right to come in and tell parents their kids can't use social media. It crosses a line. I'm so over the government deciding that teachers can't let kids mention their two same S*x parents, books being removed because some yahoo gets pissy about it, and so on..it's not for the FL government to decide what parents that live there can allow their children to do and at what ages.
You're free to move to somewhere that aligns more to what you believe. I like this bill and support it. A LOT of parents are idiots and yes, they do need to be told how to raise their kids. So teachers can't mention this or that... so? If YOU think YOUR child is ready - teach them. Want them to read a book? Buy it. The standards are NOT the same across the board. Just because a kid is in a certain grade doesn't make them ready to learn about certain things. Parents who give a shit are the ones speaking out. They don't ban a book because 1 is being pissy.
Oh kiss off.
Again, the Republicans used to be for SMALLER government. Now, they think it is acceptable to tell parents and everyone else what they can do. This bill is a slippery slope as it does defy the Constitution in terms of free speech. It is unconstitutional. Period. By the way, just because I disagree with things the government does, does NOT mean I need to move. Kiss my rosy ass. You are free to support this bill, just like I am allowed to think it is BS. I do not think the government has any right to remove books because conservatives dislike them like the ones that mention having two parents of the same S*x. Whether you like the subject or not, there are tons of kids out there that have two moms or two dads and they should be represented just like my kids that have a mom and dad. I was perfectly respectful in my response to Della..you? Not so much because you came at me like an ass. Grow up and accept that just because someone does not like certain things happening does not mean they need to move.
Touchy, touchy...
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:36 pm What stops teens from using a VPN to bypass regionally required age verification laws? This doesn’t really block anyone’s access if the click of a few buttons can have their IP read as if they’re in New York or Belgium. If anything, the existence of this law with some an accessible workaround seems like it would lull some parents into a false sense of security that their children couldn’t be on these sites.

Also curious about how they’d prove parental/child relationships. What stops a kid from uploading the ID of any random adult and claiming it’s their parent?
Bingo... It's all for show. It's a nice thought, but realistically, it's not going to do anything for those who want to get around it. Look at Youtube - you have to be 13 to have an account. How many kids are uploading?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:07 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:36 pm What stops teens from using a VPN to bypass regionally required age verification laws? This doesn’t really block anyone’s access if the click of a few buttons can have their IP read as if they’re in New York or Belgium. If anything, the existence of this law with some an accessible workaround seems like it would lull some parents into a false sense of security that their children couldn’t be on these sites.

Also curious about how they’d prove parental/child relationships. What stops a kid from uploading the ID of any random adult and claiming it’s their parent?
Bingo... It's all for show. It's a nice thought, but realistically, it's not going to do anything for those who want to get around it. Look at Youtube - you have to be 13 to have an account. How many kids are uploading?
You're pleased with a useless law?
306/232

jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:14 pm

I like it in theory.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm
Della wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:14 pm

I like it in theory.
The idea is great, but the unintended consequences of putting our kids and our IDs out for verification will be interesting to see.
306/232

Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

And most kids will know ways around it.

Not sure how they will be able to enforce it.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I agree that there are going to be work around for kids but how comfortable are you about supplying your photo id in order for you to have a social media account? How about downloading a period tracking app? How about your other accounts such as pharmacy? 'Cause you know where this is heading.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That just seems like the worst of all worlds then - some IDs will be provided (which opens up the possibility of impersonation and data breaches), while it does nothing to really address the issues presented by social media for kids who will find workarounds to access it, while some parents will feel even less responsibility to navigate this with their kids.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic